Custom maps from images

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
jackminahan

Custom maps from images

Post by jackminahan »

I hate having to go into the creator mode to create a map from scratch. I decided to make a custom map by just using gimp to create a pixelized map where in theory one pixel is one tile and they are all colored to the correct biome type. I got the idea because you can download maps to an image on your laptop's files. I finally completed this map and now it gives me an error whenever I try to implement it. A few other things to note. When you open a freeciv map that you downloaded into your images, the pixel ratio comes out to 12x12 pixels is one tile. I have tried resizing my map to the same proportion and it still gives me an error. I have also changed the colors on my custom map image to the same ones that freeciv uses when you download a map into your images. Are there any suggestions on how I could get this to work or if it is even possible? Anything helps thank yall.
Molo_Parko
Hardened

Re: Custom maps from images

Post by Molo_Parko »

There is another active discussion about this type of thing to create Freeciv maps for scenario files at this link: maps with different projection ?

Attach your image to a post and I'll walk you through exactly what is required to convert to a Freeciv scenario file's map format. It's not difficult to do, but there are some tedious issues. Once you have the map in Freeciv format, it is easy to convert it to an image, then use that image from the functional map with Freeciv-web.

Freeciv-web image-to-map import: https://fcw.movingborders.es/freeciv-ea ... -image.jsp

The default color choices at the image to map import seem a bit mystifying (they don't appear to match the local Freeciv client colors), but it works.