Call for community peace

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Lexxie
Veteran

Call for community peace

Post by Lexxie »

Freeciv-Web calls on all developers and players and server operators to cease and desist all political / reputational / personal and other forms of warfare against each other. I propose that things like opportunistically propagandizing half-true claims with the rather obvious motive of causing community strife and political "zero sum game" has a bad effect on everyone. Keep forum.freeciv.org holy and not a place for discordant fights or disagreements or half-true slanted statements obviously trying to tarnish some other developer/player/user etc.

As an example of what I'm proposing:
1. DON'T hide source code on one site while simultaneously supporting it in bogus claims that another site is not open source.
2. DON'T pretend to be all reasonable and friendly while making statements that implicitly tarnish someone else by leaving out the full truth.
3. DO be friendly, inquisitive, cooperative, collaborative, didactic, and helpful: to other players, servers, and project.

Dear community, how can we end this crazy cycle? I propose in public that all parties agree to a peace treaty and in it will be some trades of things that are equally win/win and good for all.
Canik
Veteran

Re: Call for community peace

Post by Canik »

Community peace and unity sounds good to me. Freeciv TnT has always provided it's source upon request and would be happy to work out an agreement where all parties share and work together. Let's try to build each other's sites up and consolidate our efforts and resources. :thumbsup:
Lexxie
Veteran

Post by Lexxie »

Please publish all your source code on your repository and be in full compliance, BEFORE making such requests of others.

Please do NOT hide source code from your repository, then point the finger at others over conditions that you originally forced to happen by your own actions. Please do NOT make a huge fallout drama that is bothering users and players and making people feel disappointed and take sides. Please do NOT get henchman involved whose motive is partisan or to help one instance at the expense of another instance. Especially do not be a pawn used by interests whose intent is to hurt all web instances of freeciv.

First thing to do here I think, is apologize like "I was not aware that my absent source code on my repository triggered a long chain of consequences that ultimately led to all this, and I want to apologize to everyone affected, and especially let everyone know that Freeciv-web is innocent and I'm sorry for any harm I have caused their operators, maintainers, and players."
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

One does not have to share through the specific medium of github to be in compliance. I suggest we look to the future instead of the past in order to move forward.
Lexxie
Veteran

Post by Lexxie »

Please apologize or whatever alternative preferred actions you can think of to completely undo the damages and disappointments and side-taking that this has caused within the community. It's not about the past, it's about a clean happy future.

Your site is not compliant with the very complaint your henchman made against mine, i.e., a clearly visible obvious non-obstructive method. I am not going to play the same game you're doing and require you to mail two DVD-RW discs with postage paid return or anything other such thing. Be 100% "friendly, inquisitive, cooperative, collaborative, didactic, and helpful" and we'll get places. Play little games in public where the true motive is that other readers who don't see all the facts you hide from them, are led like little juries in court by lawyer rhetoric, into a guilty verdict for an innocent person, and you're not getting my cooperation. "Your modified version must prominently offer all users..." Comply with this, and be normal friendly non-obstructive by letting your users view the repo any time they want without this artificial obstruction you are doing.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Warfare? There is no warfare. We simply want you to respect the licence after you took the work that hundreds of people have been developing for decades and publish the source derived from this work. As is expected for something that is called open source.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

Lexxie wrote:Please apologize or whatever alternative preferred actions you can think of to completely undo the damages and disappointments and side-taking that this has caused within the community. It's not about the past, it's about a clean happy future.

Your site is not compliant with the very complaint your henchman made against mine, i.e., a clearly visible obvious non-obstructive method. I am not going to play the same game you're doing and require you to mail two DVD-RW discs with postage paid return or anything other such thing. Be 100% "friendly, inquisitive, cooperative, collaborative, didactic, and helpful" and we'll get places. Play little games in public where the true motive is that other readers who don't see all the facts you hide from them, are led like little juries in court by lawyer rhetoric, into a guilty verdict for an innocent person, and you're not getting my cooperation. "Your modified version must prominently offer all users..." Comply with this, and be normal friendly non-obstructive by letting your users view the repo any time they want without this artificial obstruction you are doing.
https://www.udrop.com/5Zfv/tnt.com-docked-10-21.zip

My source is open, free to download, only requires 2 clicks. Very easy and accessible.

I am sorry for any stress the misunderstandings, poor communications and thus conflict between us have caused anyone in the middle. I never desired that. I only desired to contribute, creating games with new graphics/rulesets and to expand the community. If we can reconcile and find a way to work together I'm all for that.
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

@Lexxie so you have TnT and TnT Valhalla's source code.

Like my adding more terrain overlays and my swamp graphics there are some other sweet goodies in there you may want to incorporate.

- Increased Window Size so City Radius increases are now possible on web.

- One City Challenge Ruleset

- Ruleset code to have unique units tied to wonders/improvements and some special unit abilities like paradrop variants with Loki, Freya.

- Lots of ideas that are arguably improvements for the front-page.

- More sweet graphics.

- Unique terrain.ruleset setups for One City Challenge and Valhalla that might interest you.

is it possible I might get some recent version of your working code as well? I have had a bit of issue figuring out the Hut lua script. it would be much appreciated.

oh btw I created a channel in my discord server with links to our source and there will be a link on our main page as well with our next update. also I'm trying to recruit help for maintaining a github repo and workflow up. will have all that done. I expect by November we'll have that all set up nicely and be super-duper compliant and open-source.
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

Look, we're no strangers to love of Freeciv. You know the rules and so do I. C'mon, let's team up again. A full commitment is what I'm thinking of. I clearly learned much and have a lot of passion for the Freeciv Project. You wouldn't get this from just any other guy.

I want to tell you how I'm feeling. I feel sadden by the lost potential of us collaborating. I've gotta make you understand. Despite what you may think I'm never gonna give you up. In improving Freeciv I'm never going to let you down. I'm not going to say I'll never run around but I'll never desert you. Never going to make you cry "there's no one here to help me!" and most of all I'm never going to say goodbye. However, you must understand I'm never gonna tell a lie. and sometimes that might hurt you.

I was your ally for years, Lexxie. We've known each other for so long. I know your heart's been aching but you're just too shy to say it. Inside we both know what's going on. We know the game and we're going to play it and if you ask me how I'm feeling? Don't tell me you're too blind to see.

Together, we can revive this old hit. We can make Freeciv explode! .. or we can make Freeciv explode. :(

What we decide here will have everlasting effects on the Freeciv community and the success of Freeciv on the web. Please choose the friendly, happy and exciting one. :heart:
Last edited by Canik on Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Let's see if I got right what is happening in this thread. Lexxie, who didn't publish her code, is complaining that Canik, who published his code, did not publish his code?

Did I get it right?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...