Seems like Freeciv-web claims it's no longer "open source"

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
wieder
Elite

Seems like Freeciv-web claims it's no longer "open source"

Post by wieder »

This is the "reply" we got from the Fcw repo.

https://github.com/Lexxie9952/fcw.org-s ... its/master

"About FCW and this repository
-----------------------------
FCW is a volunteer effort. We follow the common practice of a cycle of development, beta, testing, and release.
Like other software projects, FCW is almost always in a stage of development ahead of its last stable release.

FCW is an open source project of a private community that does not sell/distribute its work under the GPL
definition of distribution.

For its voluntarily approved users and developers, FCW periodically publishes stable releases of its code
after the beta and testing period. FCW usually releases code for stable releases within 90 days of readiness.

FCW public code releases are _bona voluntas_ provided for those who mutually and voluntarily enter into
relations desired and approved by both parties. Users voluntarily choose to be in a provider/user relationship
under our Terms of Service, for the state of the project release at that moment. Regarding potential developers
and non-users, FCW is NOT required to do work for, nor release source code to anyone with whom we have not
entered a voluntary mutual relationship, nor do we enter into a developmental, provider, or usership relation
with entities who do not agree to the rights we reserve for our absolutely free and unencumbered operation.
Any relation with us conditional to the above.

You have our permission to enjoy our service, for free, if you accept our Terms of Service. In so doing,
you are choosing to be a private member of a private internal community. FCW reserves the right to refuse
service to anyone.
----
By submitting a **Pull Request** to this repository,
1. You agree that the creators and maintainers of FCW may use and modify that content as we see fit.
That is, under no restriction whatsoever that would limit us more than if we had created the content
ourselves (except for #2 below).
2. You maintain the right to re-use any contribution you have made in your own projects or other
personal, public, or professional uses; without limiting in any way our ability to do the same.
3. This means we may do, but are not limited to do, the following: Release as the licensor: freeciv
server code under GPL licensing; freeciv-web code under AGPL licensing; audio/art/etc, under CC BY
or other licensing.
4. You agree we will not be obstructed from re-releasing or repackaging any contributed part of the
project as we deem necessary or desirable, whether for future release of this project or other projects,
under current or other licensing; including but not limmited to changes in project licensing to facilitate
compliance with other component licensing and/or the ability to deliver our services.

*Statements made above are inclusive to our Terms of Service. No statement made above shall be deemed
as FCW or its maintainers implicitly waiving any rights."
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Seems like Freeciv-web claims it's no longer "open source"

Post by AndreasR »

Freeciv-web is open source, and released with the AGPL license.

https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv-web/ ... ICENSE.txt
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

AndreasR,

Obviously I was talking about the freecivweb.org the web site and not only about the Freeciv-web project. I'm sorry about the possible confusion. This site is using AGPL licence software and the changes to this code were not made available to those who are requesting it. I believe this kind of behavior is not ok.

In short fcw the website is imposing additional restrictions on top of AGPL which is not allowed.

I'll repeat my request to you since you are one of the operators on that site. I'm asking for all the AGPL licence source code used on freecivweb.org web site. From where can I get the source? The repo listed on the web site is not up to date.
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

Aye from my understanding one can add additional permissions but not additional restrictions. The latter sort've goes counter to what AGPL and open-source are all about..
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

wieder wrote:AndreasR,

Obviously I was talking about the freecivweb.org the web site and not only about the Freeciv-web project. I'm sorry about the possible confusion. This site is using AGPL licence software and the changes to this code were not made available to those who are requesting it. I believe this kind of behavior is not ok.

In short fcw the website is imposing additional restrictions on top of AGPL which is not allowed.

I'll repeat my request to you since you are one of the operators on that site. I'm asking for all the AGPL licence source code used on freecivweb.org web site. From where can I get the source? The repo listed on the web site is not up to date.
Freeciv-web is open source with an AGPL license. Therefore websites running Freeciv-web should comply with this license. I personally have retired from all Freeciv-web development and server operations.

Andreas