Freeciv-web not releasing the source code?

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
wieder
Elite

Freeciv-web not releasing the source code?

Post by wieder »

Let's keep this short.

It's great to have more Freeciv based projects and more people playing the game. This was all made possible by all the people contributing to the project. Freeciv has been one of the greatest open source projects out there.

However we may have a problem. Freeciv-web operators have apparently decided that they no longer need to release the source code for the fcw project based on Freeciv. Multiple people have requested the source code and all those requests were turned down. Additionally source code requests made on the fcw discord server have been deleted with no explanation. The operators responsible for Fcw have been informed. At the moment it looks like they are doing this on purpose.

Fcw has been publishing new releases, features and stuff but no new source code has been made available for several months.

Where can I get the current source code for Freeciv-web?
Canik
Veteran

Re: Freeciv-web not releasing the source code?

Post by Canik »

As Wieder said, it is great to have more Freeciv based projects. Made possible by all the people contributing to the project. I contributed via some donations, ideas, codes and graphics to Freeciv-web happily. Unfortunately it seems the current Freeciv-web Operators are building on the contributions of myself and so many before me but hoarding any new development to themselves. This is not in line with the spirit of open-source project that is has been Freeciv/Freeciv-web. Freeciv-Web has not updated it's github since July 22nd and it's operators refuse requests for their current source code. To my understanding, this also fails to meet obligations under which the code was licensed.

As Admin of the newest web variant - Freeciv: Tactics and Triumph. Upon request I made my current code available here:
https://www.udrop.com/5Yln/tnt.com-dock ... rchive.zip

All we ask is that Freeciv-Web do the same and honor the spirit of the Freeciv Project and the license we've all been operating under.

https://gyazo.com/b9c0971efcb11f41671ce88c27e03430

^ the last time Freeciv-web shared it's source code.

https://gyazo.com/4cbb8a32c8f57bfe13eab046b29535e4

^ a public request made on Freeciv-web's discord which was promptly deleted.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

Maybe this explains the not yet answered question I had in this thread -

"MP2-Caravel officially released on freecivweb.org"
http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91969

about their github repo not being up to date.
Lexxie
Veteran

Post by Lexxie »

FCW holds forum.freeciv.org as sacred ground for players and developers to have good ideas. Please be loud against anyone using this forum for their local "my server is better than yours" politic wars.
Last edited by Lexxie on Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lexxie
Veteran

Post by Lexxie »

Dino the Dinosore wrote:Maybe this explains the not yet answered question I had in this thread -

"MP2-Caravel officially released on freecivweb.org"
http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91969

about their github repo not being up to date.
baby we have people threatening wars and legal actions as their only hope of sucking so bad they have to go this far

under war is black fire rules , if you don't like enemies of open source then talk to me privately
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

total war? all that's being done is requests for open source to be open source. that and one developer requested a cease and desist on his code being used due to his disgust at fcw's recent practice of ignoring/deleting and thus rejecting requests for it's source. calling this 'total war' seems a bit dramatic.

why not just share your code? we share ours
Lexxie
Veteran

Post by Lexxie »

Oh hi babies!

First of all, forum.freeciv.org is holy ground only and i mean ONLY for what makes all sites better. As Zoltan once said, "don't be like me"

Cheers
Last edited by Lexxie on Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lexxie
Veteran

Post by Lexxie »

Not true. FCW has a big problem with a server which is a licensee of our AGPL code but not publishing it. They want to access all of our code but not expose their own. In this way, hope to gain some competitive advantage. The usual enemies of FCW are propagandizing it and everything they say you should suspect the exact opposite and other dark motives for what they do. I encourage everyone to make NO JUDGMENT on any of this without talking to me privately, where I can PROVE with undeniable evidence what's really going on here and what is their secret motives which are so bad for the political spirit and collaboration of the overall open source freeciv community.
Last edited by Lexxie on Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lexxie
Veteran

Post by Lexxie »

-----------------
Last edited by Lexxie on Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

Lexxie wrote:Oh hi babies!

First of all, forum.freeciv.org is holy ground only and i mean ONLY for what makes all sites better. As Zoltan once said, "don't be like me"

Cheers
Cool release your source code so we can make our sites and your site better.
Lexxie wrote:Dear Everyone,

I am sad to announce that Louis Moureaux has exited the Freeciv Open source project.
Yeah I doubt that. I'm sure Louis will continue to do great work for longturn.net, tacticsandtriumph.com and the Freeciv community as a whole.
Last edited by Canik on Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.