developer environment

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
simsulla

developer environment

Post by simsulla »

Ok, so I forked the repo, and following the remade instructions built the docker container and started it up (still struggling with the freeciv-proxy that of some reason does not do what is intended).

But that build is heavily modifying images, patching etc and you end-up with a virtual environment. Is there any documentation on how to set up your development environment locally on Linux (ide like intellij/eclipse.. etc.). I cant find any hints on that? Or do I need to decipher the "docker" scripts to figure out how to setup an local environment?
cazfi
Elite

Re: developer environment

Post by cazfi »

I used to do freeciv-web development without using virtual machine, but gave up as more and more things in that setup got broken by people hardcoding things like they are in the virtual machine. Now it has slowed down, though, so it might be feasible to fix those existing issues against running freeciv-web without virtual machine.
madmax
Veteran

Post by madmax »

Vagrant is still the preferred installation method. It's not only a virtual environment but a virtual machine, though, so I guess it's harder on resources than docker. On the other hand, you have local access to the sources, so you can modify locally and log into the VM to start/stop the services.

If you are very brave, you may pull from the unified_install_script and try the install script on the bare machine, but it will overwrite some of your configuration, not just build a development sandbox.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

I do freeciv-web development without using a virtual machine. Got it working by reading the install scripts. When I do Freeciv-web development after a break my set up is often broken. It takes some time to fix it, usually after looking at the changes to scripts/travis-build.sh. I look forward to unified_install_script