Why do you play Freeciv-web vs Freeciv?

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
drgerg
Veteran

Why do you play Freeciv-web vs Freeciv?

Post by drgerg »

I thought the dev team for freeciv-web might like to know that their work is appreciated.

I play Freeciv-web because I can play it in my LazyBoy chair on my ChromeBook.

I play Freeciv-web because I can play it on my company provided laptop (that is locked down-can't install Freeciv) while I am traveling.

Why do YOU play Freeciv-web?
Schwartz

Re: Why do you play Freeciv-web vs Freeciv?

Post by Schwartz »

I play Freeciv-Web because of my passion first and foremost for history and of course Civs 2 and 3. I think it's amazing how far the Freeciv project has come that I can basically play Civ2/3 online and internationally. :D
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Back in the days I remember how some people, including me, were sitting around one computer + Civilization I session and talking about what could and should be done with the nation. It quickly turned into a debate about how people would do against each other and what kind of economic or military strategies would work with humans :)

Then we go CivNet and few nice games with it. And some more commercial civs with multiplayer features but too many times the opponents disappearing way too soon. However playing the 23h turn games was the thing.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

I actually prefer the Freeciv client to Freeciv web exclusively for technical reasons. It runs much smoother, has much more controls and options and I can use the Trident tileset which is much clearer and more technical than the iso-eyecandy.

I believe the biggest thing anyone could do is making it possible to connect to the Web game using the client.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:I believe the biggest thing anyone could do is making it possible to connect to the Web game using the client.
Substantial amount of work has already gone in towards that, so that otherwise compatible freeciv server and client can communicate using json protocol usually used between server and web-client. RoadMap has some entries about how this was supposed to go forward before play.freeciv.org was shut down.
However, the fact that freeciv-web does not care about stable freeciv releases, but always goes on latest development tip, means that it won't work with stable release clients but will require compatible development version build (sometimes network protocol changes several times a day in the master development branch....)
bassyst

Post by bassyst »

Hey,

I really love freeCiv-web. I stumbled over it several years ago when the IT press wrote some articles on the freeCiv project and I was amazed that some developers tried to employ new web technologies for games (Html5 and I saw the WebGl development with three.js, all without any adobe flash player! great stuff!).

I played Civ 4-6 a lot and with freeCiv-web I sort of discovered the "roots" of those games :-).

I think freeCiv-web should continue as it is pretty easy to use on any device. I am not able to install freeCiv on all of my devices and many other users may have the same issue (office notebooks ...). Actually it seems to take a lot of effort for just one person to administrate freeCiv-web (as I read in other threads) and therefore we are not in the right position to demand anything. But if it helps: I really appreciate freeCiv-web and would be really thankful if the service could be continued.

For now I am using the freeCiv mobile App (Android) and it's just not as good as freeCiv-web :-(. But it helps forgetting I could be palying freeCiv-web instead.
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

Corbeau wrote: (...) and I can use the Trident tileset which is much clearer and more technical than the iso-eyecandy.
What ? I am not alone doing that ?? :o

If devs don't know what to do with Freeciv-web, well, providing the choice of used tileset could be an interesting thing to do...
Rmatt

Post by Rmatt »

I play Freeciv-web because I like the "Play-by-Email" Mode (although it misses two important features) and I can play very easily from my phone when it's my turn to play, wherever I am!

To be fully functional, it misses:
[*] should be possible to be 6-8 players, more than 4 at least
[*] should be possible to have an automatic Empty Turn after a user-defined time-delta (e.g. 2 days)

I hope to see the Play-by-Email mode soon back online and I do volunteer to test it if desired :-)