Multiplayer PBEM Diplomacy Bug Still There

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
sirkirby

Multiplayer PBEM Diplomacy Bug Still There

Post by sirkirby »

I didn't get a reply posting this in the other thread, so I thought I would start a new thread. Here's my question/concern:

Gents, first let me say... great game! My friends and I are having a wonderful time playing this game.

Now here's my problem... I am still having an issue with diplomacy in the multiplayer game. I don't see an option anywhere to do any diplomacy. We're stuck in perpetual war. I tried establishing an embassy but that did not open up the option anywhere. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Multiplayer PBEM Diplomacy Bug Still There

Post by cazfi »

PBEM -> I think this is an freeciv-web at play.freeciv.org rather than regular desktop client, right?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Did you check the Nations screen? When you have an embassy with someone, click on that player, there should be a "Meet" button.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
madmax
Veteran

Post by madmax »

Not in PBEM. PBEM games do not support diplomacy.
dareg

Post by dareg »

Is there a specific reason for not supporting diplomacy in PBEM ? Is it a bug ?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

dareg wrote:Is there a specific reason for not supporting diplomacy in PBEM ? Is it a bug ?
Diplomacy isn't working in PBEM games, because the diplomacy code in Freeciv was developed a long time ago before Freeciv-web got PBEM support, and no one has done the development work to implement diplomacy support for PBEM yet. The main issue is that the human players are never connected to the same server in PBEM games, since in PBEM games the next player loads the savegame from the previous player, turn after turn. The diplomacy buttons have also been disabled in PBEM games in Freeciv-web. I guess it should only take a few hours to fix. Patches and pull-requests welcome!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

AndreasR wrote:
dareg wrote:Is there a specific reason for not supporting diplomacy in PBEM ? Is it a bug ?
Diplomacy isn't working in PBEM games, because the diplomacy code in Freeciv was developed a long time ago before Freeciv-web got PBEM support, and no one has done the development work to implement diplomacy support for PBEM yet. The main issue is that the human players are never connected to the same server in PBEM games, since in PBEM games the next player loads the savegame from the previous player, turn after turn. The diplomacy buttons have also been disabled in PBEM games in Freeciv-web. I guess it should only take a few hours to fix. Patches and pull-requests welcome!
Freeciv savegames have contained open diplomacy meetings for years now. What else is needed?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

PBEM games on Freeciv-web was initially a 2 player duel, where the winner got points in the ranking table. In a 2 player duel, the idea at the time was that diplomacy was not needed. Also, it didn't work at the time, if I recall. Anyone is free to submit pull-requests to improve this.