Specials disappeared!

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
IZY5O

Specials disappeared!

Post by IZY5O »

Hi Andreas,

Help! All of a sudden (noticed it yesterday) two thirds of my cities are starving.

After searching for the cause (some global catastrophe?) I noticed all the terrain specials were gone!

Was there a change to the default settings that I missed? Is this a new version of Freeciv-web? Did I accidentally hit the wrong switch?

Or maybe it's just my savegame got corrupted?

-IZY.
Horace

Re: Specials disappeared!

Post by Horace »

I've noticed the same problem.

All the specials on squares that I can see have disappeared. Specials that are on squares that I have explored but can't see right now are still shown. This affects files that
were saved a few days before this happened. This is happening in both Firefox and Chrome.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Horace wrote:I've noticed the same problem.

All the specials on squares that I can see have disappeared. Specials that are on squares that I have explored but can't see right now are still shown. This affects files that
were saved a few days before this happened. This is happening in both Firefox and Chrome.
Yes. I too see the same effects in my current game.

But, when I start a new game, the specials work correctly.

Is it possible there is a new savegame format that is different from the old format? Has there been a recent upgrade to Freeciv-web that is not loading the original specials?

Andreas, could this be an issue where the server and web client are out of sync?

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for reporting this problem. Unfortunately the problem is caused by the most recent upgrade of Freeciv-web to the production server.
We regularly update the production server with new releases, to make sure that bugs are fixed and that you sometimes get new features.
As part of this process, we also update Freeciv-web with a more recent version of the Freeciv C server. The reason the specials disappeared
was because the savegame format for resources has changed in this release, and fixing it would have been too much work.
So this is the price of progress, sometimes things break. I try to make this happen as seldom as possible.

Perhaps you may want to start a new game, where resources are saved correctly from now on. (Or perhaps you may want to look at this as a
unnatural disaster challenge, where you are the great leader of your country, and suddenly all the special resources in your land disappear
because of a bug in the software which simulates your great land. Imagine if that would happen.. :shock: )
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Okay, got it.

An unnatural disaster has befallen our planet (an industrial accident?) and wiped out half the flora and fauna and now we must scramble to save our population and civilization. We must cease all hostilities and focus on survival!

Hmm... Wonder if I can sell the book/movie rights... ;)

-IZY.