Game Dies after leaving browser

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
BP77

Game Dies after leaving browser

Post by BP77 »

Thanks for the great game and the continual improvements to it. However, I've noticed in the past 3-4 weeks a new glitch. If I'm playing a game and I leave my browser to go do something else, I'll come back and my game is essentially dead. I can't move any of my units, although I can cycle through them with Wait, and if I hit the Turn Done button it will turn gray but nothing happens. This has mostly happened on FireFox but I've gotten it on Chrome as well, and while most of the time it has happened with me leaving the browser and coming back, I've also had it happen with me going to a different tab in the browser. It doesn't happen immediately, but the timeout seems to be less than 5 minutes, so I can repeat it pretty easily if you need me to do some bug logging.
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Game Dies after leaving browser

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for reporting this, I will try to fix it.
Can you please help me with finding a way to reproduce this problem in as few steps as possible?
Eno

Post by Eno »

Hello,

Same here. I tried with Firefox and with Chrome. Start a new game (Single player vs. AI), play a few turns, then minimize your browser window, and go to any other app.
Then maximize your browser window, and there you have it.

It also happen if you load a saved game. At this point (once the interface has frozen), if you try saving in this state, next time you reload the last saved game, you end up with the previous save.
BP77

Post by BP77 »

It's pretty much what Eno described. Start a new Single Player vs. AI. Play for a bit, then switch to another app for longer than a minute but usually less than 5, come back and your game is dead. I used to play and have web freeciv in the background all the time with no problems, this bug cropped up in the last 3-4 weeks. I'm running FF on Windows 7 although I've also seen it happen in Chrome.
BP77

Post by BP77 »

I just did a little more testing and it appears the timeout happens between 1 minute and 2 minutes. 1 minute wasn't enough, but if I left for 2 minutes I came back to a dead game.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I have released a fix for this problem to the play.freeciv.org server. Can you please give it a try, and report if this has been fixed for you also now?

Andreas
BP77

Post by BP77 »

That appears to have fixed it, Thanks! :D
Elder Grendel

Post by Elder Grendel »

I'm just curious about this, but would using:

Code: Select all

/set pingtimeout <large_value>
...have fixed this?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

This was the change.

pingtime reduced from 60 to 30, and pingtimeout changed from default 60 to 120.

The problem was that ping packets were not sent correctly, possibly by Freeciv-proxy, and possibly because the ping packets are so small.

I hope this has been fixed now.
frank

Post by frank »

Still crashes...ow it just intermittent.