Freeciv-web with Open Streep Map import (Freeciv-Earth)

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

Freeciv-web with Open Streep Map import (Freeciv-Earth)

Post by AndreasR »

Freeciv-web now supports importing maps from OSM, and can be played here: Freeciv-Earth
Please give it a try and report what you think!

Andreas
JTN
Elite

Re: Freeciv-web with Open Streep Map import (Freeciv-Earth)

Post by JTN »

That's very cool.

I had to click through about 8 "unresponsive script" warnings in Firefox in my test case (the whole of Iceland).

BTW Glacier terrain seems to be being rendered as Tundra on the main map? (Don't know if that's peculiar to the Earth mode.)
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

>I had to click through about 8 "unresponsive script" warnings in Firefox in my test case (the whole of Iceland).

I think this can be improved. The conversion from OSM to Freeciv savegame is done using Javascript in the browser. Perhaps it can be made faster.
I didn't get any such warnings, though.

>BTW Glacier terrain seems to be being rendered as Tundra on the main map? (Don't know if that's peculiar to the Earth mode.)

Freeciv-web doesn't support rendering glacier, so tundra is the fallback. I hope we can fix this sometime. :) However, no end-user ever requested it.

The conversion is quite basic at the moment, if you or anyone wants to help improve it, that would be very welcome: earth.js
SPF50Gault420

Post by SPF50Gault420 »

I'll have to admit this is a very convenient new feature.

Although I primarily had to get a forum account just to point out a problem I have with terrain generation.
e.g. I ran this while zoomed in on South Georgia (and the South Sandwich Islands) and some of the places which were supposed to have tundra or glacier end up having desert instead. (and vice versa as well.)

Would be nice if the colour configuration was tweaked a bit.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

SPF50Gault420 wrote:I'll have to admit this is a very convenient new feature.

Although I primarily had to get a forum account just to point out a problem I have with terrain generation.
e.g. I ran this while zoomed in on South Georgia (and the South Sandwich Islands) and some of the places which were supposed to have tundra or glacier end up having desert instead. (and vice versa as well.)

I have done some improvements to the way desert and tundra tiles are determined. Now latitude is also a factor used to decide between tundra and desert.

Andreas
SPF50Gault420

Post by SPF50Gault420 »

AndreasR wrote:
SPF50Gault420 wrote:I'll have to admit this is a very convenient new feature.

I have done some improvements to the way desert and tundra tiles are determined. Now latitude is also a factor used to decide between tundra and desert.

Andreas
Oh thanks! It's (almost) perfect now. :)

Gotta love my late response, I guess.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Does anyone have any ideas about how to improve this further?
https://play.freeciv.org/freeciv-earth/

For example, custom map size? Other things to improve?
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Just tested it briefly. Is it possible to disable xwrape/ywrape and have a rectangular map instead?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

XYZ wrote:Just tested it briefly. Is it possible to disable xwrape/ywrape and have a rectangular map instead?
This is been fixed now. When loading a map from Mapbox, then the default topology is set to flat, without wrapping. And the 2D version supports rendering the map without wrapping now.