Limited technology?

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Civothy

Limited technology?

Post by Civothy »

Is it possible to limit what technologies can be researched in a game? For example, I would like to try a game where nothing more advanced than gunpowder can be researched. Can this be done?

When you limit the technologies by how many bulbs they need (nothing more than 200 bulbs, for example), what vertical column they occupy (nothing more than five columns developed), or by name, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just interested in trying a game that doesn't involved a huge race up a tech tree -- I'm hoping that instead tactics and strategy will become more important.
Playing Freeciv-web on a Mac running OS X 10.12.3 via Safari 10.0.3
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Limited technology?

Post by Corbeau »

It can be done by editing the ruleset. However, Freeciv Web uses "universal" rulesets that have to be hosted on-site and set up by the admins. If you want to try specific versions of the game, you can use your local Freeciv Server/Client and, basicaly, do whatever you want with it, the options are limitless. And if you want to try it in multiplayer, you need to have a computer that can be reached by other players (which you probably do) and run a server on it.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...