Oil Wells do not appear on map

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Civothy

Oil Wells do not appear on map

Post by Civothy »

Hi all,

Using the Civ2Civ3 ruleset, in order to get the +1 Shield bonus in deep water from the Offshore Platform city improvement you must (M)ine the deep ocean tile to build an Oil Well. You then get the +1 Shield bonus.

The problem is, there is no visual indication that an Oil Well is present. If you assign a population to work a tile with an Oil Well present you will get the appropriate bonus, but you can't actually see which tiles have an Oil Well and which do not. You can figure it out by assigning population to various deep ocean tiles and seeing which ones have the Shield bonus and which don't, but this is a bit clunky.
Playing Freeciv-web on a Mac running OS X 10.12.3 via Safari 10.0.3
dunnoob
Elite

Re: Oil Wells do not appear on map

Post by dunnoob »

I'm not quite sure, maybe this issue is covered by HRM 696029, and presumably it was (or still is) not limited to Freeciv-web.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

In freeciv-web, the oil rig sprite/graphic has been missing for quite some time.

When it first disappeared, I thought it was because my saved game was incompatible with the new version. However, every new game I've started since then still shows no oil rigs. The effect is there, you can see it when you work the tile or ask for tile info, but the image of the oil rig never appears on the tile.

I've gotten used to it, but it sure would be nice to see it again some day.

By the way, not sure if this is related, when I get the pop-up men for my workers on a desert tile, instead of the "mine" choice it gives the "plant trees" choice. But the end result is a mine, not a forest.

Just saying... :)

-IZY.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Wow! :o

For a brief moment, the oil rig was visible just now! Together with the mine sprite/graphic.

But when the turn was done, it just showed a mine in the desert, no more oil rig. :(

I guess today was my "some day". But I will keep looking, in case it becomes visible again.

-IZY.