Why do AI civilizations repeatedly stop and start building wonders?

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
The_Ghost

Why do AI civilizations repeatedly stop and start building wonders?

Post by The_Ghost »

See title. If this is some sort of bug, it sure has taken an awfully long time to get fixed since I'm pretty sure it's been around for years.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Why do AI civilizations repeatedly stop and start building wonders?

Post by cazfi »

I'd say it's a sort of bug, but not an simple one. AI gets something else to build before wonder is finished. I improved this a bit some weeks ago, freeciv-web probably have that fix already.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Also, it used to be that if you saved a game and came back to it later, the AI seemed to forget why it was doing things, and stopped building a wonder.

(Or at least, that's what I think I observed. This was a while ago; I'm not sure whether it still happens.)
The_Ghost

Post by The_Ghost »

cazfi wrote:I'd say it's a sort of bug, but not an simple one. AI gets something else to build before wonder is finished. I improved this a bit some weeks ago, freeciv-web probably have that fix already.
I play freeciv-web, and it is not fixed.
JTN wrote:Also, it used to be that if you saved a game and came back to it later, the AI seemed to forget why it was doing things, and stopped building a wonder.

(Or at least, that's what I think I observed. This was a while ago; I'm not sure whether it still happens.)
That still happens as well.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Are you sure it is a "bug" (as in, "coding error")? Maybe it can be explained by an imperfect decision-making by the AIs where they switch priorities too easy. I remember the "issue" from the early days of FreeCiv, maybe even some of the original Civs, so if ti was a bug, it would have been exterminated long ago. However, if it's a behavioural problem, then to fix this, we simply need "better AIs". Which is a completely different matter. and surpasses simple coding.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:Are you sure it is a "bug" (as in, "coding error")?
It's not a bug, if you define bug as a simple coding mistake. My view was that of tracking tickets where thing is either SOME kind of error -> "bug", or more or less wanted "feature".