Why can I only set 8 players maximum?

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
The_Ghost

Why can I only set 8 players maximum?

Post by The_Ghost »

I remember that when I used to play this game, I could set at least 20 players. Now, when I get to 8 and keep pressing the up arrow, it does nothing.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Why can I only set 8 players maximum?

Post by cazfi »

What does it say in the chat window when you increase the number beyond 8? Even if it fails to add a new player for some reason, it should say something like (with 'cazfi' replaced with your username)
cazfi: 'set aifill 9'
Console: 'aifill' has been set to 9.
If it fails to add a player, it should also give you a reason
cazfi: 'set aifill 13'
Console: 'aifill' has been set to 13.
Warning: aifill not met: requested more than 'maxplayers' setting.
In freeciv-2.5, maximum number of players is 126, unless there's some other limiting factor.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Are you playing Freeciv-web? If that's the case, allow me to direct you to one of Andreas' posts:
AndreasR wrote:The maximum number of AI players in Freeciv-web is currently 8. I hope that should be enough for most players. The reason for limiting the number of AI players is to reduce CPU usage on the server. The server has to handle the games of many players, and to be fair the server resources have to be devided reasonably fairly between all players.
~ AVL
The_Ghost

Post by The_Ghost »

Aww, that sucks. I found a saved game for the Large World Scenario where I have 30+ AI players, which is the default. When you're playing on such maps, 8 isn't close to enough, and early game would be extremely boring. It also greatly reduces diplomatic potential and just generally makes the game less fun to play. Thanks for letting me know though.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

You can use the command /set aifill 30 in pregame, but don't tell anyone.
The_Ghost

Post by The_Ghost »

Wow, thanks for the tip.