How to build airstrip/airbase

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Civothy

How to build airstrip/airbase

Post by Civothy »

Greetings all,

Using the Civ2Civ3 ruleset, how do you build an airstrip/airbase? I've had teams of Engineers on a location but they can't build it. They can build a Fort (I think it's a Fort...) but they can't build any kind of air facility. I've tried selecting the option from the pop- up menu and by directly typing "E" on the keyboard -- nothing sees to work. I do have Radio technology.

I've tried building an airstrip/base within a city's zone of control and also outside. It does not seem to make a difference.

Also, how do you upgrade to a Fortress? I can't seem to do that, either. I imagine you first build a Fort, then build a Fortress on top of it? Are they visually the same? That might explain things.

Any help would be appreciated!
Playing Freeciv-web on a Mac running OS X 10.12.3 via Safari 10.0.3
Corbeau
Elite

Re: How to build airstrip/airbase

Post by Corbeau »

Civothy wrote:Also, how do you upgrade to a Fortress? I can't seem to do that, either. I imagine you first build a Fort, then build a Fortress on top of it? Are they visually the same? That might explain things.
In Freeciv client they do look the same. And middle-clicking on the tile should tell you exactly what is there.

As for airbase, my answer is: I don't have a clue. But maybe, just maybe - an idea off the top of my head - it is also a two-stage construction and you need to build a pre-fort first.

But someone will surly give more reliable information. This is just an attempt at prodding at he answer.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

This is what regular (non-web) client help has to say about civ2civ3 ruleset bases.
Attachments
airbase.png
airstrip.png
fort.png
fortress.png
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

This seems like a bugin Freeciv-web related to this specific ruleset.
Civothy

Post by Civothy »

I've been playing around with this, and this is what I've discovered:

You cannot build an Airstrip or Airbase. Commands from the pop- up menu or direct keyboard entry do not work.

You can build a Fort, and following on that, a Fortress. However, when you build a Fort there is no visual indication of a Fort being on a particular tile. In other words, if you build a Fort and then move your construction unit off that tile, there will be no indication that a Fort exists there -- however if you get Tile Info on the location it will tell you there is a Fort present.

When you build a Fortress, it leaves a visual indication of the Fortress. It looks exactly like a Fortification from the standard Freeciv ruleset.

When you build a Fort with a unit, the little icon that appears near the unit to show it is building is different from what you see when building a Fortress. I like this, and when you build a Fortress the little icon appears the same as from other rulesets.

That's about all I've figured out. I guess not that many people build Airstrips, or we would have found this earlier. :D
Playing Freeciv-web on a Mac running OS X 10.12.3 via Safari 10.0.3
accomplishednoob

Post by accomplishednoob »

It's true. I also could not build an airstrip/airbase under Civ2Civ3 ruleset. Tried many different things, adjacent to a city, far from city, next to a city with airbase, on plains, grasslands, desert, transforming fort/fortress, etc. neither worked for me. You are not the only one who is facing this problem.