Suggestion to change depiction of cities

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Corbeau
Elite

Suggestion to change depiction of cities

Post by Corbeau »

I made a suggestion how tiles around cities can be more visible. See attachment and let me know what you think.

Variant: wherever there is transparency, change to full transparent.
Attachments
map-icons.png
map-icons.png (51.08 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Suggestion to change depiction of cities

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure that I agree fully with all the changes here, for example I don't think the flags should be smaller. I can make the right area more transparent, though.
Civothy

Post by Civothy »

I understand why you might not agree with all the changes Corbeau suggests, but I will tell you why I like what he did. Maybe knowing what the problem is will help you figure out a solution.

With the current width of the "city info tag" it makes it very difficult for me to see what is happening in the two tiles beside the main city tile. I can't see what the resources are, I can't see if there have been any terrain upgrades (a mine, for example), and I can't see any pollution. The current flag on the far left of the city tag and the current unit under production on the far right of the city tag obscure those things.

By moving those items into a more vertical arrangement it clears up the side area. This would be very helpful to me. As it is now, if I get a report of pollution near a city and I can't see it, I need to go to the individual city page (the view that shows what improvements a city has, what units are stationed there, and so on) and try to find it there (since on that page you don't see the city info tag).
Playing Freeciv-web on a Mac running OS X 10.12.3 via Safari 10.0.3
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

AndreasR wrote:I don't think the flags should be smaller.
Why?
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Corbeau wrote:
AndreasR wrote:I don't think the flags should be smaller.
Why?
The flags in Freeciv-web are the same size as in the Freeciv desktop clients. It is my opinion that the current flag sizes are fine.
I could make the flag size configurable in the options dialog. This change would have to be added to the document with the other proposed changes, and be prioritized together with the other changes.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Fair enough. But you don't have to make it smaller, just move it so that is stands in or above the city. This would solve an additional problem that it's not obvious which tile the city is on, it seems like it's on the lower tile and it sometimes looks like the actual tile is empty.
--
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

I'll just say that the "option to switch off/reduce size/make transparent city names (they are blocking tiles)" is officially holding 4th place on the wishlist, effectively sharing the 2nd place with two other wishes.
--