LongTurn support in Freeciv-web

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

LongTurn support in Freeciv-web

Post by AndreasR »

Freeciv-web now has support for LongTurn!

The timeout is set to 23 hours, and the game will start when at least 10 players are ready.

The LongTurn server can be found here:
https://play.freeciv.org/game/list?v=multiplayer

Please give it a try and let me know if any changes are required to the Freeciv-web LongTurn server.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: LongTurn support in Freeciv-web

Post by Corbeau »

Possible bug:

When I press "Play" at "LongTurn for Freeciv-web Pregame", I get a window with "Corbeau" in a frame with two options: "Customise game" and "New user account". If I press "Customise game" everything works fine, but if I press "Enter", apparently I also enter the game, but no communication with the server and soon after the connection breaks.

Also, I selected Cubans at one instant, but when I joined again a few hours later, there was no Cuban flag next to my name.

And just noticed some weird server behaviour:

Code: Select all

Melthetoothy has connected from localhost (player Corbeau).
You are logged in as 'Corbeau' connected to Andreas.
Corbeau: test
Corbeau is the Andorran ruler Andreas.
Cuban nation is already in use.
New vote (number 1) by Corbeau: set size 18 (needs 51% in favor).
Corbeau is the Czechoslovakian ruler Andreas.
Also, the chat from a few hours ago where we talked is still visible, but without names showing who said what...
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for reporting these issues. I have fixed them, except for the last which I will fix soon. Please report if you know of any further changes which need to be made.

I have hardcoded the ruleset to Civ2civ3 and the aifill to 0. Changing the ruleset or aifill was a cause of some of the previous issues. Ruleset and aifill are not for changing.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Ruleset was the cause? How so? It's just a set of files that are used for game mechanics once the game starts.

Does this mean that it won't be possible to use any other rulesets?

As for aifill, that one isn't needed in LongTurn so there is absolutely no problem with doing whatever needed.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Hm, server still misbehaving.

I logged in, Andreas was present as Dutch (I think), I chose Aborigins and now there is no me and Andreas is an Aborigin.

For some reason, can't copy/paste server text. Says "logged in as Corbeau connected ot Andreas".
--
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I have fixed the latest issue. This is LongTurn-Web in the making!
Changing the ruleset resets a lot of settings, which conflicts with the special rules we have implemented for LongTurn (such as not removing players who have chosen their nation), so we have to decide on one ruleset for LongTurn, it can't be changed by end-users all the time.
Please let me know if there are further issues. Hopefully we could get a test game started soon.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Ooh, looking good :)

As for the ruleset, I think I'm beginning to understand where we have a concept mismatch :) What you want here is an admin-free self-service where people simply get online, join the game, pick a ruleset and play. Which is perfectly fine for a quick-paced game of FreeCiv that collects players within 15 minutes and ends within two hours.

But I very much doubt that there will be more than a few LTW games starting per year. I estimate three. So, in this situation, I don't think it is necessary for players to be able to pick a ruleset at all. Simply, like you said, install one and start playing.

One note about LT: with the game itself lasting many months, don't expect the pregame to be short :) Ok, with this one we can start as soon as we get 10 people signed in, but in the future, I'd like to discuss rulesets before jumping in :)

So, the next "would be nice" thing on the roster: sending a mass e-mail to people who signed in for a particular game saying "The LTW game you signed in for is starting in X days". Also, the LT community has a custom to have the first turn three days long, for the people to get in, but if we send an email a week ahead and then again exactly 24 hours before the game starts, maybe this wouldn't be necessary.
--
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Ah, still not showing player name when chat line written before latest connect.
--
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

We are now 9 players in the longturn game! I hope that we can start the game when we have 10 players. The first game will be a test game and we will discover things which needs fixing.

Yes, very good, admin-free self-service, is exactly what I had in mind. So Corbeau please continue helping me finding the important things to fix.

One question: how do we start the game, when we can't guarantee that every player will click the ready button?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

AndreasR wrote:Yes, very good, admin-free self-service, is exactly what I had in mind. So Corbeau please continue helping me finding the important things to fix.
Well, I'd say that admin-free self-service won't be working here. OR, it depends on what we think by it. Basically, if there is only one ruleset available for a particular game, is it ok if we ask the admin just to install a particular ruleset before the game starts?
One question: how do we start the game, when we can't guarantee that every player will click the ready button?
Hm, maybe that comes under the "dedication"? :) Weed out people who didn't click it and start without them because, if they didn't bother to read that one centence and do that one click, they can't be trusted to last long?

Or start with them, regardless if they clicked it or not? Is there a way to see how many people actually clicked?
--