Gold resource + road bug

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Kissaki

Gold resource + road bug

Post by Kissaki »

According to the wiki, a mountain with a gold bonus should yield 6 gold. It actually yields 7 gold in Freeciv web, but if I build a road to my mine it falls to 1 gold - the single gold piece generated by the road itself. It remains at 1 with a railroad. Building a mine added a production shield, as per the wiki, and did not interfere with the gold. This particular mountain (the only one I have with a gold resource currently) is positioned on top of a river, in case that might be relevant (though I don't think so).

In short, if I want to maximise output from that mountain, I must build a mine but leave it without roads - because roads kill the gold production somehow.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Gold resource + road bug

Post by cazfi »

Kissaki wrote:According to the wiki, a mountain with a gold bonus should yield 6 gold. It actually yields 7 gold in Freeciv web, but if I build a road to my mine it falls to 1 gold - the single gold piece generated by the road itself. It remains at 1 with a railroad. Building a mine added a production shield, as per the wiki, and did not interfere with the gold. This particular mountain (the only one I have with a gold resource currently) is positioned on top of a river, in case that might be relevant (though I don't think so).

In short, if I want to maximise output from that mountain, I must build a mine but leave it without roads - because roads kill the gold production somehow.
There's something wrong in that certainly, but a couple of clarifications:
- Road does produce gold only on some terrains, and Mountain is not one of them
- River does produce +1 trade -> that's why it's +7 to begin with, and sounds like this is the +1 you get when there's a Road

Are are the numbers just what the client shows (predicts) there to be, or have you also somehow seen that it's what gets realized at the turn change (you may still get correct amount of trade if the bug is just in what the client shows)
Kissaki

Post by Kissaki »

cazfi wrote:
Kissaki wrote:According to the wiki, a mountain with a gold bonus should yield 6 gold. It actually yields 7 gold in Freeciv web, but if I build a road to my mine it falls to 1 gold - the single gold piece generated by the road itself. It remains at 1 with a railroad. Building a mine added a production shield, as per the wiki, and did not interfere with the gold. This particular mountain (the only one I have with a gold resource currently) is positioned on top of a river, in case that might be relevant (though I don't think so).

There's something wrong in that certainly, but a couple of clarifications:
- Road does produce gold only on some terrains, and Mountain is not one of them
- River does produce +1 trade -> that's why it's +7 to begin with, and sounds like this is the +1 you get when there's a Road

Are are the numbers just what the client shows (predicts) there to be, or have you also somehow seen that it's what gets realized at the turn change (you may still get correct amount of trade if the bug is just in what the client shows)
I may have to test that in a new game - I have way too many variables going on in my current game to answer that question in a hurry (lots of cities, my neighbouring ally virtually spamming me with caravans).

Oh, and double irrigation seems to have no effect on desert tiles. Not that that's related, or anything.
Kissaki

Post by Kissaki »

I just tried with a new game, and what do you know, the bug isn't there. Could it be the bug manifests at a certain tech level? In my new game I am still in the dark ages, whereas I was in the modern age with my other game. Monarchy in both cases. Or is it possible that it was that particular mountain that was bugged?