Join the Freeciv-web LongTurn game!

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

Join the Freeciv-web LongTurn game!

Post by AndreasR »

Longturn Game 2 has now been started, and can be joined here. It will have 250 players and 30000 tiles.

Some more information about Longturn can be found here and here.
Last edited by AndreasR on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Join the Freeciv-web LongTurn game!

Post by AndreasR »

There are 43 of 60 players now, so the LongTurn game is starting soon!
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

The Freeciv-web LongTurn game has started! There are 60 players. Players can use this link to play.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Which ruleset are we using, again?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

So the previous LongTurn server crashed. I think the cause of the crash was that with 60 players, the server used more memory than was allowed on the server. I have fixed this now.

A new LongTurn game has been started with a much better way of starting the LongTurn game: The game starts immediately with 150 nations. When new human players join the game, they will replace the existing (idle) AI players. This means that the LongTurn game can start immediately, and new players can join as they wish until the limit of 150 players has been reached.

We are using the multiplayer ruleset, modified with x2 movement.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

If this means that new people can sign in at any later turn, with the previous turns being played by the AI, I don't think this is a good solution. May be good for testing, but not for persistent playing.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Corbeau wrote:If this means that new people can sign in at any later turn, with the previous turns being played by the AI, I don't think this is a good solution. May be good for testing, but not for persistent playing.
This is just a way to start the game immediately. I think this change will make it easier to start longturn games without waiting for all players to join. The AI is inactive, and does not move any units or do anything. The AI is more of a placeholder which does nothing.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Yeah, that's even a bigger problem. People starting late(r) will be at a disadvantage. A few turns in the beginning can mean a lot.
--
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

The LongTurn games are much simpler to start this way. I think we'll do it this way now, and learn from it for the next game.
We already have a running LongTurn game with 6 players, and new players are steadily joining at a good rate.
Also, new players get to play their turn immediately when joining, instead of joining, and then having to wait an unknown number of days until the game starts.
Corbeau wrote:Yeah, that's even a bigger problem. People starting late(r) will be at a disadvantage. A few turns in the beginning can mean a lot.
There are ways to offset the disadvantage of people starting later. For example we could give them a specific amount of gold. Perhaps you have other suggestions?

Andreas
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

AndreasR wrote:Also, new players get to play their turn immediately when joining, instead of joining, and then having to wait an unknown number of days until the game starts.
Huh, waiting a few days for a game that lasts months shouldn't be a problem. Remember when we discussed persistance and dedication?

But I'm definitely for continuing this one as it is. See how it goes. Testing etc. ;)
--