Freeciv-web password storage change

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

Freeciv-web password storage change

Post by AndreasR »

I have just updated the way Freeciv-web stores passwords, to a more secure method. If you have any problems logging in,
then please try clearing your browser cache and log in again, and report any problems you might have.
The change is that passwords are now hashed using SHA-512 instead of MD5.
edd

Re: Freeciv-web password storage change

Post by edd »

Hi, password hashing requires more than just using md5 or sha-512 hash function (user specific salt and a password hash that is cpu and memory hard). Just using SHA-512 is not good. A typical password solution could make use of sha-512, but would repeat it many times according to some particular algorithm.

In password storage terms you want something like pbkdf2 or bcrypt (these are the old but still adequate algorithms). For state of the art you'd look at http://password-hashing.net/ (I was hoping they would have linked to easy to read introductions to the subject, but it doesn't really look like it.
edd

Post by edd »

Here's a simple test that is necessary for a minimal level of password security:

If two users have the same password, do you store the same derived key for them?

If the answer is yes, password storage is inadequate.

I will also get serious for a minute: If the answer to that question yes, your password database is a liability to you: if it leaks, user's passwords are in danger not just on your site but everywhere where a user might use the same password! Why is this your liability? Because it is negligence with personal information.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

edd wrote:Here's a simple test that is necessary for a minimal level of password security:

If two users have the same password, do you store the same derived key for them?
The answer to this is no. Freeciv-web uses org.apache.commons.codec.digest.Crypt to hash the passwords securely.
I found this article informative: https://crackstation.net/hashing-security.htm
edd

Post by edd »

That sounds good!

(Note: You implemented this after I pointed it out, maybe you are a big enough person to admit that? What kinds of errors we make in life doesn't matter, it's how we respond to them that matters. Fixing it is great.)