savegames for devel testing

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
madmax
Veteran

savegames for devel testing

Post by madmax »

Is there a pack anywhere? Specially some with lots of cities, lots of nations, nearing a nation split, just before other interesting events, etc. Or a way to get them from one's own games in play.freciv.org?
AndreasR
Elite

Re: savegames for devel testing

Post by AndreasR »

If you tell me your username and a savegame name, then I can e-mail you some savegames from play.freeciv.org.

There are some scenarios here: http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Scenarios.

Andreas
madmax
Veteran

Post by madmax »

My username there is also madmax, and I have just one game, but a lot of savegames, and I'd have to find out which would be useful (and finish setting up the development environment, and start making changes, and...), so don't bother yet. When I get to it, I'll try the scenarios first, and take your offer if I can't manage to edit them to take them to the point I need.

Thank you.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

> I'd have to find out which would be useful (and finish setting up the development environment,

Please let me know if you need any help setting up the development environment. Setting up Freeciv-web with Vagrant is probably
the easiest. There is a description here about how to do it: https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv-web
Good luck!
madmax
Veteran

Post by madmax »

I think it's all sorted out now, thank you (at least enough to start a game, play a few turns and test a patch).

For someone like me who doesn't know about servers and webapps, the Vagrant way certainly sounds simpler. I prefer to use my provider's packages if possible, so it took me a few tries until I noticed I had to explicitly tell Vagrant (at least the first time) to use VirtualBox instead of the default (here) libvirt.

The next problem was memory. With my 4GB, giving 2/3 to the VM made the host thrash. My sweet spot seems to be in 2GB with less workers. And I have to remember to stop freeciv-web with the handy script before compiling/installing changes. All in all, it seems to be enough for what I may do.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Great! Can you please share some comments here about what you had to do to get Vagrant up and running?
What did you do to use VirtualBox instead of libvirt? Which Linux distribution are you using?
Is there anything we should change in Freeciv-web to make it easier for new users to get it running?
madmax
Veteran

Post by madmax »

Nothing fancy, biggest problem being memory.

Regarding installation, I followed instructions, just using one of Fedora's package managers instead of apt-get or directly installing from the sites. Then, when running vagrant up, it downloads the image and then spits out an error saying something like I have a virtualbox image and libvirt is not a usable provider. The knowledge of the net told me I had to use vagrant up --provider=virtualbox the first time I ran it.

It may be only with Fedora 24 packages. From what I've been reading (not that I understand any of it), libvirt supports virtualbox itself, but not the vb version used in the image with the libvirt version I have.

From https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/provider ... usage.html, it seems that adding

Code: Select all

config.vm.provider "virtualbox"
(without configuration section) to Vagrantfile would make telling it in the command line unnecessary.

Re memory, in my system the host becomes highly unresponsive with just 1/3 kept. I set mem = 2048 in Vagrantfile and both host and guest flow nicely.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I have made some improvements to the Vagrantfile based on your feedback. Thanks!