Let's Play FreeCiv Videos | 32 Nation Large World Map

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
sveinung
Elite

Re: Let's Play FreeCiv Videos | 32 Nation Large World Map

Post by sveinung »

Nook wrote:I think I might need to listen to you about the luxuries, considering how well the trade paid off, lol
You won't regret it.

City check list: City has trade routes. City is able to keep producing at least one food more than it uses so it can keep growing. City is above size 3. City has an Aqueduct. No field units or units outside your borders. Are you planning to make a city go beyond size 12? Remember a sewer system. Planning to grow extremely big? Try to increase the amount of local gold (that will become luxuries) by worker placement (that still give minimum 1 surplus food per turn) and by building a marketplace followed by a bank and a stock exchange. A happiness building may be required in the end.

PS! Happiness wonders are nice.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: Let a city do some work (a turn is enough) on the thing it is building before you buy it. This reduces the buy cost.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: Only Marines can attack while transported over non native terrain.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: Compromise is bad investment when it comes to luxuries. The idea with (temporary) setting luxuries to 40% is to make your cities celebrate.

City celebration is the opposite of city disorder. Disorder is very unhappy. Celebration is very happy.

Regular city growth happens when the amount of stored food passes a limit. When a (fcweb) city in a democracy celebrates it grows in another way.

The amount of stored food doesn't matter for celebration growth. You only need the city to produce 1 more food per turn than it consumes. Celebration will still make it grow.

Many cities don't have trade routes yet. There is no giant amount of trade route revenue to spend (40% of) on luxuries in those cities.

Making a city moderately happy rather than moderately unhappy won't help you. The city must cross the limit so it starts celebrating. Many moderately happy cities is a waste. You could use the resources on something else or you could give a bit more and make them celebrate.

It is possible that some of your cities did celebrate. I didn't read all the text in your messages. Panama may have grown.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: Workers and Engineers can't build cities. You can safely automate them. You only have to worry about Settlers.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

It is a free 22 gold per turn per trade route to New Zealand. Both ends of the trade route gets 11 gold per turn. You own both ends. 2 * 11 = 22
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

I recommend using the cruise missile before trying celebration growth. It cases unhappiness even inside a city.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

You have pirates in your terrain.

You didn't use your airlift capability. (New Zealand - India is a shorter distance for Transports)

Buying a city to build an airport in so you can transport freights was a good idea. (You considered it some time ago) Building a new city for the same purpose also works.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

After watching the game so far, I think the current hard AI should have been made stronger and tougher to beat. Nook is facing 32 hard AIs and should have seen much more resistance. In my opinion a hard Freeciv AI should be more aggressive and attack the human player more often, and defend their cities better. Perhaps we should do like our commercial competitor, and give the hard AI extra gold and/or research each turn?

Andreas
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

AndreasR wrote:After watching the game so far, I think the current hard AI should have been made stronger and tougher to beat.
The Hard AI level not being hard enough is a well known problem.

Two minor improvements recently went into Freeciv. The Hard AI level no longer has to offer a ceasefire the first time it meats a new player. The Hard AI level can now bribe settlers and workers. I don't know what is included in the Freeciv version used by Freeciv-web. (I have moved Freeciv-web's Freeciv version a bit forward recently. There is still catching up to do)

Are you interested in trying to do something with the AI difficulty your self? There are some utility functions that may need adjustment. Weighting a constant may be enough. You'll need a fast computer (or much time) to test what weights give the best results. (Let Hard keep the old weight. Give experimental the new weight. Play many auto games. See if experimental gains a statistically significant advantage.) I can help you get the resulting weight adjustments into Freeciv.

There could be AI regressions in the 3.0 development version. I have noticed that Nook's allies don't do mass trade route establishing to his cities. Unless Greece, the distant ally, starts doing it soon I'll become suspicious. Doesn't have to be a regression. Nook has smaller cities, a bigger map and more opponents than I'm used to.

PS! What is the purpose of webclient-ai-attitude.patch?
AndreasR wrote:Perhaps we should do like our commercial competitor, and give the hard AI extra gold and/or research each turn?
That sort of stuff is what the cheating AI level is for. The cheating AI level is given advantages. The handicapped AI level is given disadvantages.