Let's Play FreeCiv Videos | 32 Nation Large World Map

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
sveinung
Elite

Re: Let's Play FreeCiv Videos | 32 Nation Large World Map

Post by sveinung »

Warning: The new version of Freeciv-web contains a fix of a Freeciv bug that prevented angry citizens. (See Freeciv bug #23743)
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

The Freeciv-web client is new compared to the Freeciv GTK client. Freeciv-web is written in JavaScript. Other clients, written in C and C++, take advantage of Freeciv's shared client code. Freeciv-web doesn't. Freeciv-web has fewer developers than regular Freeciv.

Freeciv-web lacks many features found in the other Freeciv clients. A developer prioritizing what to implement next may check player feed back. Your videos are useful. I added the missing features you encountered to Freeciv-web's TODO. This increases their visibility.

While watching your videos I have seen you encounter
  • incomplete help texts (no unit transport capacity, no wonder obsoleted by, etc)
  • missing global work lists ("build the usual"-button)
  • missing advanced unit selection ("select all units of the same kind at this tile")
I think that was all. I'll keep my eyes open during future episodes.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: If you wish to establish a trade route to the city your Freight or Caravan is inside press 'd'. That should brings up the action selection dialog against any target at its current tile. This feature originally allowed Spy and Diplomat units to act against the allied city they were inside. Since caravan actions now are controlled by the same frame work as spy actions it should work for them too. (I think this will work in Freeciv-web too)
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Correction: Distance is probably the factor you should maximize when establishing trade routes. You play on a large map. The fcweb ruleset doesn't have the experimental ruleset's expanding city radius. The smaller number of tiles a city can work will make giant cities less common.

Hint: The distance between the cities and the population of each city counts equally when calculating profit.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

I'm glad that you finally discovered trade routes. Have you seen Democracy's population growth from celebrating cities before? If not another pleasant surprise awaits you when you start using 40% of the your trade route enhanced revenue on luxuries.

Cutting back science and tax for a while to make room for luxuries will be worth it. Remember that the population growth will increase trade route revenue.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Freeciv-web lacks many features found in the other Freeciv clients.
For balance sake I'll point out that Freeciv-web has features not found in the regular Freeciv clients people installs. One is that it can run in the web browser on systems otherwise unable to run Freeciv. Another is that it supports rules impossible both in the current 2.5 series and in the future 2.6 series.

It can support those rules because it uses the Freeciv 3.0 development version's server. The webperimental ruleset's spy actions are one example. In webperimental The Manhattan Project allows its owner to use his spies to suitcase nuke (3.0 feature) enemy cities. Stealing gold (2.6 feature) and parts of the enemy's world map (3.0 feature) can also be done.

To avoid confusion: The webperimental ruleset isn't Freeciv's experimental ruleset. Rules like experimental's growing city radius aren't there. The webperimental ruleset is a copy of fcweb with some rule changes Freeciv-web is able to support. It is in the early phase of it's development. Rules may be added, removed or rebalanced with each new version of Freeciv-web.
Nook

Post by Nook »

sveinung wrote:I'm glad that you finally discovered trade routes. Have you seen Democracy's population growth from celebrating cities before? If not another pleasant surprise awaits you when you start using 40% of the your trade route enhanced revenue on luxuries.

Cutting back science and tax for a while to make room for luxuries will be worth it. Remember that the population growth will increase trade route revenue.
I haven't recorded any further (I've been taking it slow and keeping an eye on this thread ;) )
I can't believe how productive trade routes are, it almost seems OP. Is it scaled for the map size or is 20 per route average for good cities off the continent? I think I might need to listen to you about the luxuries, considering how well the trade paid off, lol
sveinung wrote:Correction: Distance is probably the factor you should maximize when establishing trade routes. You play on a large map. The fcweb ruleset doesn't have the experimental ruleset's expanding city radius. The smaller number of tiles a city can work will make giant cities less common.
Is the small city sizes due to lack of workable tiles or are they just not building aqueducts? Seems strange they're all sitting at size 8.

So you think getting a trade route to India would be the most profitable?
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: The trade route revenue is calculated from the sum of the population of the two cities involved and the number of tiles between them. The distance is counted in tiles. (Freeciv knows that you can move diagonally when it counts tiles) The distance is absolute, not relative to map size.
Nook wrote:Is it scaled for the map size or is 20 per route average for good cities off the continent?
See above. This is why the size of your map matters. Think: "You managed to get your Caravan this far. It wasn't slaughtered. Here is your reward."
Nook wrote:
sveinung wrote:The fcweb ruleset doesn't have the experimental ruleset's expanding city radius. The smaller number of tiles a city can work will make giant cities less common.
Is the small city sizes due to lack of workable tiles or are they just not building aqueducts? Seems strange they're all sitting at size 8.
Your "small" city size will be because your cities "only" have 21 tiles for food production, including the city center. (The number of tiles starts at 21. It never changes.) The AI's small city size is because it isn't good at making its cities grow. It isn't completely horrible. Expect to see some AI cities above size 13 during the game.

Your cities will be "small". This reduces the size difference between your cities and the AI's cities. Your map is large. This increases the distance difference for extremely remote cities. A trade route to a small size 5 AI city at the opposite side of the world is a better deal in your game than I'm used to.
Nook wrote:it almost seems OP.
Let's not invite that debate into this thread. The fcweb ruleset is supposed to stay close to classic. The webperimental ruleset is more open to changes.
Last edited by sveinung on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: You can buy a wonder. Expensive but legal.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: There is a shield penalty when you change a city's production to something from another class.
Last edited by sveinung on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.