Let's Play FreeCiv Videos | 32 Nation Large World Map

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
sveinung
Elite

Re: Let's Play FreeCiv Videos | 32 Nation Large World Map

Post by sveinung »

Hint: Your allies will declare war on you when you launch the space ship.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: Old routes will almost always stay when you take a city. (A trade route may become illegal. How that is dealt with is ruleset dependent) If the bonus conditions (different island, different nation) of a trade route changes its income changes.

Example: all trade routes from South America to North America doubled their income when North and South America became different islands. If you transform the ocean between North and South America to land (or the Nuclear Winter does it for you) the income will change back.
Nook

Post by Nook »

sveinung wrote: Local money are spent on luxuries for a city. The local money can come from working tiles or from a trade route. Did the fact that you set the luxury rate for your entire nation confuse you?
I'm not sure what you mean by this, did I say something in one of the videos?
Nook

Post by Nook »

AndreasR wrote: Nook, do you have more suggestions for Freeciv-web improvements?
I catch myself hitting "c" quite often hoping it will center me over the active unit, I'm not sure how that could work within a tablet but it would help a bit on the PC.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Nook wrote:
AndreasR wrote: Nook, do you have more suggestions for Freeciv-web improvements?
I catch myself hitting "c" quite often hoping it will center me over the active unit, I'm not sure how that could work within a tablet but it would help a bit on the PC.
I agree, will implement. Anything else?
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Nook wrote:
sveinung wrote: Local money are spent on luxuries for a city. The local money can come from working tiles or from a trade route. Did the fact that you set the luxury rate for your entire nation confuse you?
I'm not sure what you mean by this, did I say something in one of the videos?
A city can be unhappy even if you have a high luxury rate. The luxury rate determines what percentage of the trade ("gold") will be used to make the city that produced it happy. A city that don't produce any gold (from working a tile or from a trade route) won't get any happiness from a high luxury rate. A city that produce just a little will only get a little happiness from a high luxury rate.

I wanted to know if the fact that the player sets the luxury rate for your entire nation (rather than for each individual city) had made you believe that trade to happiness happened at a national level (so trade from one city would make another city happy). I think my suspicion was based on what I interpreted as surprise that a poor city was unhappy when the luxury rate was that high.
Nook

Post by Nook »

sveinung wrote: I wanted to know if the fact that the player sets the luxury rate for your entire nation (rather than for each individual city) had made you believe that trade to happiness happened at a national level (so trade from one city would make another city happy). I think my suspicion was based on what I interpreted as surprise that a poor city was unhappy when the luxury rate was that high.
Oh yeah, I know how it works. I have my rate so high I was probably just surprised it wasn't having as much of an effect as I was expecting (at least for that city)
Nook

Post by Nook »

AndreasR wrote: I agree, will implement. Anything else?
Awesome! Nothing comes to mind at the moment, I'll try to think about it next time I play.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Great ending to the Let's Play video series, Nook! Congratulations on beating 32 hard Freeciv artificial intelligence players.

May I suggest you try facing someone with real intelligence next? How about we make another video some time soonish, streaming it live on Youtube or Twitch, where you play a duel against me? I think that could be entertaining to watch!

Andreas
Nook

Post by Nook »

AndreasR wrote:Great ending to the Let's Play video series, Nook! Congratulations on beating 32 hard Freeciv artificial intelligence players.

May I suggest you try facing someone with real intelligence next? How about we make another video some time soonish, streaming it live on Youtube or Twitch, where you play a duel against me? I think that could be entertaining to watch!

Andreas
Sounds good to me! I've been thinking about trying out a multiplayer game, not sure I like my odds though ;)