Savegame compatibility

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Savegame compatibility

Post by cazfi »

sveinung wrote:Patch #6153 would have broken the loading of unit orders. Patch #6171 adds development version internal save game compatibility for it.
Did it broke compatibility with the development version only? There seems to be no changes to savecompat.c for loading old stable formats.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

cazfi wrote:
sveinung wrote:Patch #6153 would have broken the loading of unit orders. Patch #6171 adds development version internal save game compatibility for it.
Did it broke compatibility with the development version only?
Yes.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

patch #6716 breaks compatibility in respect to loading resources on the map.

legacysave.c and savegame2.c used for loading freeciv-2.6 and earlier saves handle old-format saves, savegame3.c for loading 3.0 (and current development version) savegames does not -> older development version saves have resources in wrong format.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

cazfi wrote:Freeciv savegame format changes freely during development of new version -> save from the dev version of yesterday may not be compatible with dev version of today. The savegame compatibility is only provided between stable releases (in practice also the development version is always able to load saves from any stable versions even if not from the halfway format between previous stable version and current development version). Freeciv-web uses development versions of freeciv -> there are savegame compatibility breaks.

This thread is for advance warnings about those, and also for freeciv-web developer discussion about the mitigation plans.
I guess this is sort of what happened a few days ago.

I'm posting here to make this thread current again so it will pop to the top of the list and remind everyone who might be curious about their saved games.

"The price of progress..."

-IZY.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

"The price of progress..."

Again? :(

Oops... Never mind. It's working! I can load my savegame again! :D

-IZY.