bugs/suggestions

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
mir3x
Veteran

bugs/suggestions

Post by mir3x »

Minimap has drag and drop, but dropping anywhere does nothing, dropping to chat makes game freeze and lose connection.
Then it says please refresh, after refreshing game is lost and starts new game.

Resolution is strange, like tileset is zoomed by 50%.

It eats a lot of cpu when idle.

Most addictive ruleset is Empires, but there is no Empires to load.

Keyboardless goto would be awesome.

Year icon looks like calculator, gold/income icons and tax looks like ... no freaking idea what it is :D
Autoexplore icon looks like anti gas mask.
Disband looks scary and its pretty useless, no one wants to disband units.

Right click orders is not cool, it should be scrollable grid 3x3 or 4x4 with icons and tooltips, something a bit similar to units chooser.

Messages widget lacks title and that titlebar should be a bit lower, or it should be very small without title.

Active unit indicator animation doesnt looks fluent bc its too fast.

After clicking turn done units widget position is restored to default instead staying in the same place.
Default postion of that widget is right bottom and often it covers units orders, civilization info.

Minimap viewport has bad shape, and it doesnt even have antialiasing.
Border of minimap is ridiculous.

Line borders of units/messages is not antialiased.
When moving via titlebar to left/right they dont move simulatenous, like titlebar is moving first by 1 pixel, then screen is refreshed,
at next refresh rest is moved. So its looks like jumping frog a bit :D.

For 3d u should use ryzom and 0AD art and license under CC-BY-SA, probably ppl dont like to contribute art to GPL.
First I saw city in 3D i was sure its tank, later I thought it's giant spider. After minute or so I realized its city.

Goto lines overlaps over each other bc there is some transparency, looks not good.

to be continued .. maybe ..
AndreasR
Elite

Re: bugs/suggestions

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks, this is very useful feedback. Could you please sort your suggestions from most important to least important, so I can fix the most important first?
AndreasR
Elite

Re: bugs/suggestions

Post by AndreasR »

mir3x, you are also of course welcome to contribute to Freeciv-web developent. The number of users of Freeciv-web is very high and increasing.

So far in 2016 there has been 785 000 sessions by 349 000 users on Freeciv-web according to Google Analytics. The desktop version of Freeciv has had 146,754 downloads in 2016 from Sourceforge.

Every day there are more multiplayer games played on Freeciv-web than the Freeciv desktop version, as can be seen from the statistics.