I guess I can't take "no" for an answer!
AndreasR wrote:I agree that the savegame system for Freeciv-web needs to be improved. [snip]
At the moment, the only way to free up space for savegames is to delete all the savegames. This can be done either when loading or saving a game. Unfortunately, there is no way to delete just some savegames at the moment.
So please give me some time to make these improvements to the Freeciv-web savegame system, and then I hope you will have the possibility to test it once I have it released live.
I have been loading up some browser plug-ins for Firefox to see what I can come up with on deleting individual savegames. Well, so far I was able to see them using FireBug along with a plugin called FireStorage Plus! So far, the delete command I tried using FireBug did not work. The "deleted" savegame returned and I was even able to load the "deleted" game. I was going to try some of these recommendations... look at this website: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3125980/firefox-addon-to-view-edit-create-localstorage-data
(see Brock Adams reply from 2011) which leads me eventually to this webpage that talks about how to (hopefully) delete a single game... https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Storage/removeItem
(This seems to indicate that we can maybe do this... I am wondering who is brave enough to try on a sample browser.) I also found info about SimpleStorage: http://libraries.io/bower/simpleStorageHack attempt, until the developer fixes the savegames...
The number of saves will now be messed up, and errors may occur due to the defunct savegame. My guess is it may be better to wipe these with NULL data, again, this is an untested hack... Here, instead of deleting the savegames, we can try to just reduce the size of the unwanted savegames. Of course, you may have 100 of them and need to do this a lot of times!!
- Navigate to the domain in question, https://play.freeciv.org/
- Open Firefox's console (Ctrl Shift K in windows).
- Type localStorage.length This will make sure you have something in local storage
- simpleStorage.index() This will make sure you have something in simple storage
- simpleStorage.storageSize() will show you size
- simpleStorage.get('username') This should output your username
- simpleStorage.index() will show you a list of items stored... these are just the keys that can be queried or changed
- simpleStorage.get('savegame-count') Outputs number of saves
- simpleStorage.get('savegame-savename-6') This is the name of your 6th savegame
- simpleStorage.get('savegame-file-6') This will be a lot of compressed data to fill the console.
- simpleStorage.get('savegame-username-6') This will be your username.
- simpleStorage.deleteKey('savegame-file-6') Deletes the 6th savegame, hopefully frees up space
- simpleStorage.deleteKey('savegame-savename-6') Deletes the savegame listing title? Maybe we should rename it to say "DELETED" as a test??
- simpleStorage.deleteKey('savegame-username-6') Deletes the rest of savegame 6.
- simpleStorage.set('savegame-file-6', '') I have no idea if this would work, but the idea is to leave the key and set it to be blank. This is the key that stores the data.
- simpleStorage.set('savegame-savename-6', 'DELETED') Changes the savegame #6 listing title? This is a test.
- simpleStorage.storageSize() will show you size. Hopefully there is less than before!!!!
Also, another request or 2:
17.The UPGRADE command
has no interface box to ask me to confirm an upgrade. If I have enough money, the upgrade is immediate and without being able to undo it.
18. I noticed in the Android version, the Settler always had a light-colored box around him that was the size and shape of a city's workable land area. This would be nice to see immediately which tiles a city will receive.
19. One of the major differences I noticed between these two games was that the number of food units can be listed like this: Suppose a city needs 12 food units to remain static, and there is a total of 14 units of food being produced. The Food field would say "14 (+2)" rather than just "14." I liked that a lot.
20. The happy/content people icons are extremely small. Are they able to be bigger?