The big Freeciv-web feedback and suggestions thread

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
uruiamme

Re: The big Freeciv-web feedback and suggestions thread

Post by uruiamme »

AndreasR wrote:uruiamme, what is the most important thing to improve next? perhaps you can submit a new comment, where you have re-sorted your suggestions now? Is it this the next one?
#10 City title. Can we make the City title more or less transparent? I can't see the tiles behind the city name box. Maybe something like the Caps Lock key or "C" key can make the city name box transparent.
Does this refer to the city name box on the map? This looks pretty much the same in Freeciv-web and the desktop clients. The desktop clients have a menu item to show/hide the city names on the map,
would a configuration option to show and hide city titles be sufficient for Freeciv-web?
Andreas
YES! THIS is a good one to work on. I am not exactly sure what the option would do except make it a bit of a slow process to toggle it on or off. The situation comes up all-of-a-sudden in the middle of moving a unit, like a worker, on a square near the city... this is usually the one to the lower left or directly to the left of a city. It is the Nation Flag that is the worst offender. But it is also the case for the tiles to the right at times. I figured that
A. transparency would help... to be on all the time.
B. There could be a way to instantly remove the city name... like a mouse-over event (but that may not work for a touch screen too well), or
C. A right-click setting, or
D. A menu-driven global setting, like I think you are asking about. I have seen the setting on the Android version, but it was a broken hack that helped crash it.

I sure would like to see the option to be set on the game screen somehow... Like a keystroke, a toggle switch on the Map screen, a mouse-activated setting, or basically any way to see what needs to be seen without going into the Options menu/Global settings. but if it had to be there, then it will help
uruiamme

Post by uruiamme »

27. Nation Borders. This may be a problem just with the web version or not. But I was in a match against an AI whose border colors appeared with very little contrast on my screen compared to the background or mostly green plains and grass. The culprit seems to be the choice of a National color, in my game's case, for Lula, a Brazillian AI character. This is listed as a background color of RGB(34,158,69) according to the Nations tab. The borders are almost impossible to see for my game. My border colors ended up being a very distinct WHITE that were easy to spot. Early in the game, I had no idea I was in another territory until it was too late! On blue water, it's easy to see this contrast, but not on land except desert.

Proposed fix: Can you implement "marching ants" borders? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_ants I would turn off this effect once all of the actively moving units are done moving and the player's map is centered on the home city about to click "Turn done." That way, the player will be prompted by the "static" display once there are no active units to signify the turn is almost over.
uruiamme

Caravan Test game

Post by uruiamme »

Caravan test. Try loading this game, which is attached. See if you can figure out why the traderoutes aren't being established. This isn't a perfect example, but it might help to see what's going on. You can also see the Lula border problem... the green border is hard to see. End turn a few times and try to send the caravans different places.

By the way, the savegame system still has a bug in which the files are saved as type "TXT" so I tried to remove the false .txt extension.

But this forum has a restriction on file types... no .js files allowed to be uploaded. So you will need to rename it without the .txt extension.

File should be here....
freecivweb-Test-Caravan 1250CE (T175).js.txt
(50.35 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
A .js file should upload into your game menu, because there is no restriction on uploading. Go figure.
Last edited by uruiamme on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

By the way, the savegame system still has a bug in which the files are saves as type "TXT" so I tried to remove the false .txt extension.
I think I have fixed this problem now. Firefox seems to append ".txt" to tile filename of downloaded ".js" files, while Chrome and Internet Explorer does not. Freeciv-web expects savegames to have a ".js" or ".js.txt" file extention now.

Andreas
Last edited by AndreasR on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uruiamme

Post by uruiamme »

AndreasR wrote:
By the way, the savegame system still has a bug in which the files are saves as type "TXT" so I tried to remove the false .txt extension.
Firefox seems to append ".txt" to tile filename of downloaded ".js" files, while Chrome and Internet Explorer does not. Freeciv-web expects savegames to have a ".js" file extention. I'll try to fix this.

Andreas
My guess was it was a MIME-type problem with the way the server sends the data to client. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_media_type Your server may need to be reconfigured... like the Apache config is where a lot of web servers keep this. This is just a guess from years of web development.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

The savegame issue has been fixed now, by allowing "js.txt" files to be imported also. This is a Firefox issue, always appending .txt when saving .js files.
Yar Lucebith

"Clear unit orders on selection" option in Freeciv-web?

Post by Yar Lucebith »

Hello, all!
Having only just discovered Freeciv today, and being rather green when it comes to strategy games in general, I have a lot of questions I would like to ask. Lucky for you, I've a good few ranks in my Diplomacy skill, and thus I recognize that asking only one question at a time will be far more likely to endear me to my fellow forumers. Here goes:
The "Controls" section under the Manual pane of the FC-W session window mentions an option for toggling whether or not left-clicking a unit clears its current orders. I have been unable to find the syntax for changing this option within the command line, and searching the wiki and the forum have not turned up the answers I seek. So: is that option something that's a) long since removed from the game, or b) not available in FC-W specifically? Or--am I just bad at finding information?
My reason for asking is probably obvious, but just in case it's unclear: I'm getting really sick of accidentally undoing my mining or irrigation orders every time I try to check on the status of a worker.
Thanks in advance for helping out a befuddled newbster. :mrgreen:
uruiamme

Traderoutes... more issues

Post by uruiamme »

Should I get 3 or 4 Traderoutes per city? I need to know. Before some of the game updates, I know for a fact I was using 4. In the current game, I seem to be limited to 3. Did the server rules change? 3 versus 4 routes makes a big difference in income sometimes.

In a test, I just succeeded with a Traderoute that I established between to cities very close together. I count only seven squares apart! But I got the message that I received 45 gold and research. When I went into each city to see how much gold I received per turn for this traderoute, the route was not listed for either city. Something is wrong with this, too. The destination city has "NO TRADEROUTES" still even though I just made one. (This was CE 1350 in my game)
AndreasR
Elite

Re: "Clear unit orders on selection" option in Freeciv-web?

Post by AndreasR »

Yar Lucebith wrote:Hello, all!
Having only just discovered Freeciv today, and being rather green when it comes to strategy games in general, I have a lot of questions I would like to ask. Lucky for you, I've a good few ranks in my Diplomacy skill, and thus I recognize that asking only one question at a time will be far more likely to endear me to my fellow forumers. Here goes:
The "Controls" section under the Manual pane of the FC-W session window mentions an option for toggling whether or not left-clicking a unit clears its current orders. I have been unable to find the syntax for changing this option within the command line, and searching the wiki and the forum have not turned up the answers I seek. So: is that option something that's a) long since removed from the game, or b) not available in FC-W specifically? Or--am I just bad at finding information?
My reason for asking is probably obvious, but just in case it's unclear: I'm getting really sick of accidentally undoing my mining or irrigation orders every time I try to check on the status of a worker.
Thanks in advance for helping out a befuddled newbster. :mrgreen:
Hi Yar Lucebith! Freeciv-web doesn't have an "clear unit orders on selection" option yet. The manual is copied directly from the Freeciv desktop clients, and is in fact not correct for Freeciv-web in this case. I will try to fix this in a future version, it should be fairly easy to add this new option.
Andreas
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Traderoutes... more issues

Post by AndreasR »

uruiamme wrote:Should I get 3 or 4 Traderoutes per city? I need to know. Before some of the game updates, I know for a fact I was using 4. In the current game, I seem to be limited to 3. Did the server rules change? 3 versus 4 routes makes a big difference in income sometimes.

In a test, I just succeeded with a Traderoute that I established between to cities very close together. I count only seven squares apart! But I got the message that I received 45 gold and research. When I went into each city to see how much gold I received per turn for this traderoute, the route was not listed for either city. Something is wrong with this, too. The destination city has "NO TRADEROUTES" still even though I just made one. (This was CE 1350 in my game)
I'm no expert on traderoutes, perhaps Sveinung can fill in the details. Search for "Max_Trade_Routes" in the effects.ruleset:
https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv-web/ ... ts.ruleset