Feedback on Freeciv-web on mobile and tablet wanted!

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

Feedback on Freeciv-web on mobile and tablet wanted!

Post by AndreasR »

I would like to focus on improving Freeciv-web on mobile and tablet devices now.
Freeciv-web should work on both iPhone, iPad and Android.

Please try Freeciv-web on your mobile phone or tablet and report what you think can be improved, so I know what to improve!

Andreas
Last edited by AndreasR on Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IZY5O

Re: Feedback on Freeciv-web on mobile and tablet wanted!

Post by IZY5O »

Hi Andreas,

Here are a few issues I have when playing on my iPad...

1. During my unit's move phase, I give it a destination that uses less than its total movement allowance so I can also give it an action to perform at the new location. However, when the unit arrives, the action icons at the bottom of the screen do not update relative to the new location so I'm forced to either use the pop-up menu or refresh the icons manually. Can you make the icons refresh automatically?

2. The "Units" window is a little short. The last row of information is cut in half. Can you make that window a few pixels taller?

3. Also, the "Units" window displays the wrong information when you have a stack of units. It shows the correct name of the selected unit, but it shows the stats of another unit in the stack. Can you fix it to show the correct stats for the currently selected unit?

4. I remember we used to be able to hide/show the windows (Messages, World map, Units) over the map. That was really useful. Can you bring back those options?

5. The "Options" page is getting too long, can it be made in two columns?

I think those are my main concerns for now.

Thank you for all you've done and do! :)

-IZY.
ru4it

Post by ru4it »

[urlhttps://www.reddit.com/r/Freeciv/comments/51azf ... ck_wanted/[/url]

I just spent > 90 minutes listing a large number of improvements I would like to see. Then I hit the preview button and apparently the site forgot I was logged in so it discarded everything I wrote.

I don't have time to re-enter everything now. But please read my other posts at the reddit site indicated above. Note: the inability to save the new current state of the game cleared up when I cleared the cache (losing my game). Unfortunately the problem returned for my next game after 153 turns and a couple dozen or more successful saves.

I'm really sad I won't be able to play a full game.
ru4it

Post by ru4it »

I would like it if we were able to select a saved game from the list and delete only that game leaving the older and newer games intact. So if I had 2 or more games started and I wanted to delete some of the subsequent games' older versions I could or if I suspect a particular save is corrupt I could delete it.

I noticed that half the buttons on the load page have the wrong hover tool tip text.

I have no idea how to use the download and upload buttons. One indicates downloading briefly when pressed but doesn't say what or where. The other wants me to select a file but when I try it gives me an image viewer and two audio players to select from. I thought these were related to saved games but this makes no sense.

You can enter this screen or similar screen from the save button in the options tab instead of saving the game. I went there to delete older games to make room for a new save but there is no way to go back and save the game from there.

It would be nice I if I could clear the cache while playing and then save since a save to an empty cache seems to work.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the great feedback, IZY5O and ru4it!

I have released a new version now with these fixes:
- I have tried to fix the savegame bug reported by ru4it. Could you please test some more and see if it has been fixed?
- Improved issues 1, 2 and 5 reported by IZY5O.

I'll get to the other issues soon. What is the most important things to fix next?

Andreas
ru4it

Post by ru4it »

Andreas,

Thanks for your efforts. I was not sure if you thought your fix would repair my current (most recently failed) game or just future games. So I loaded the old game, took a turn and tried to save. The save failed, something about a server problem. I tried to save again and it saved. I shut down the browser and then restart and went to the load screen found the newly saved game and tried to load it. But it fails to load, server connect problem. I tried a few more times to load but keeps failing.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

ru4it wrote:Andreas,

Thanks for your efforts. I was not sure if you thought your fix would repair my current (most recently failed) game or just future games. So I loaded the old game, took a turn and tried to save. The save failed, something about a server problem. I tried to save again and it saved. I shut down the browser and then restart and went to the load screen found the newly saved game and tried to load it. But it fails to load, server connect problem. I tried a few more times to load but keeps failing.
I'll try to fix this problem, ru4it. You are using Chrome on a Hisense smart TV, right? I really want to make Freeciv-web work nicely on that device, so I hope that you can provice as much information as possible. Do you still have issues since there is only one mouse button on your remote control? Are you able to connect a USB mouse to the TV? Do you know how I can detect your browser in JavaScript?

What does the "Savegame usage" show in the savegame dialog for you? Does deleting some savegames or clearing the browser cache solve the savegame problems?

What is the most important thing that I should improve so that Freeciv-web becomes more playable on your TV?

Andreas
ru4it

Post by ru4it »

AndreasR wrote:
ru4it wrote:Andreas,

I'll try to fix this problem, ru4it. You are using Chrome on a Hisense smart TV, right? I really want to make Freeciv-web work nicely on that device, so I hope that you can provice as much information as possible. Do you still have issues since there is only one mouse button on your remote control? Are you able to connect a USB mouse to the TV? Do you know how I can detect your browser in JavaScript?

What does the "Savegame usage" show in the savegame dialog for you? Does deleting some savegames or clearing the browser cache solve the savegame problems?

What is the most important thing that I should improve so that Freeciv-web becomes more playable on your TV?

Andreas

I have a Hi sense 55h7g 55" smart TV, this is the model just before they switched to ultra HD. It has Android 4.2.2.

Currently I am able to load a saved game play/take turns but when I try to save I get a save failed due to a server error (paraphrasing the message).

I would suggest the most important changes would be to get the save/load functioning rock solid. If people experience problems with these they will get discouraged and move on. So I will concentrate on this for this post.

When I played my first game I played a 1 player game on a 1 map size. Saving the game took 5 KB and I was able to save many times until I had used about half the 5000 KB. Then I was told it was out of memory. Deleting some of the older games allowed additional saves. This was back in June. That was the only game I have been able to play to completion. Since then I have tried playing with larger maps and lots of AI players and haven't been able to complete a game.

I don't know what got posted here and what was lost in my posts so here are my other thought related to save/load/manage of games.

Save shouldn't auto select into the game name field. My browser goes through multiple gyrations painting the save message box then moving it to make room for the popup keyboard and shading and repainting things: only to have me select on the message box outside the text entry field followed by a series of gyrations removing the keyboard.

One should be able to select any saved game individually and delete it.

Hover over the buttons and notice the problem on half of the pop up texts not matching the button.

I have no clue what upload and download are about or when one might use these buttons. I thought I might be able to use these to save my game somewhere other than cache so I could clear the cache and then get the game back and save it in cache. But one of these buttons gives an empty drop down list to select from and the other displays 3 application icon to select from (for what purpose I don't know) . The three apps are an audio player and two graphics viewers if I remember correctly. I couldn't find anything in the manual about these.

The last saved game in the list should be auto selected since this is the most common usage (don't auto load, just select).

When you get the out of memory error there is no way I found to delete older saves and then save your game. Of course when I ran into this problem I had taken several turns and lost everything I had done.

Is there a way to change the default naming for the saves? It is too verbose.

The load screen is too large on my system. I need to go through several resizings of the screen to get the row of buttons to show.
JimboJ

Post by JimboJ »

I dunno if this game is still being updated, but...

1 I find the city view too basic, it doesn't tell me how much total science, production etc is being produced - I have to go to the city report tab.

2 the messages window is unusable on my 8" android tab - it's too short, I can only scroll to the top or bottom of the window making the middle messages invisible, and the messages tab just straight up doesn't work - it's just blank.

3 good game and thanks for your efforts, for now I'll stick to the app.