freeciv-web bugs

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

Re: freeciv-web bugs

Post by AndreasR »

cazfi wrote:There's several patches ahead in server svn that are not trivial to adjust freeciv-web to. I'm working on it, and already got a bit forward.
How is this update process going? Good work so far! It seems that keeping this part of the codebase in sync is a lot more complex than we thought? Any ideas about how to improve this?
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hi Guys,

There seems to be a new bug (started a few days ago) in Freeciv-web...

When I go to save my current game, 4 out of 5 times it gives the following message:

"A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded."

It then takes me back to the "Start Game" page at the "Welcome to Freeciv-web" dialog box.

This happens after selecting the option to save the game and while waiting at the "Please wait..." dialogue box. It takes about ten seconds, sometimes less, and then it blows up (I briefly get a blank web page and then it reloads the "Start Game" page) and displays that message. On rare occasions, it actually manages to save the game just as it's blowing up.

Could this be some sort of time-out issue?

By the way, I'm using an iPad 2, iOS 8.1, and Safari over a WiFi connection.

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

IZY5O, could you please post a screenshot of the error message?
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hi Andreas,

Check out the screenshots I've uploaded.

(Oops, they are in reverse order.)

The first one (at the bottom) is a shot of the "Please wait..." message.

The second one (in the middle) is a shot of the error as it happens.

The third one (at the top) is a shot of the reloaded page.

-IZY.
Attachments
After error.
After error.
During error.
During error.
Before error.
Before error.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the bugreport and screenshots IZY.

This bug seems to be caused by a bug in Safari. So perhaps we should create a bugreport to Apple?
Searching for "A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded" with Google reveals that many other
people are having similar problems with Safari on other websites.

Could you please try to clear your browser cache, then try to save the game again?
Also, does this crash happen only on a specific game, or does the browser crash even on newly created games?

I just tried to save on Safari on iOS 8.1 on the iPhone 5, and it worked correctly for me there.

Here's someone else having the same problem:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5559229
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the tips!

I will do some testing and post my results in a few days.

-IZY.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

AndreasR wrote:
cazfi wrote:There's several patches ahead in server svn that are not trivial to adjust freeciv-web to. I'm working on it, and already got a bit forward.
How is this update process going? Good work so far! It seems that keeping this part of the codebase in sync is a lot more complex than we thought? Any ideas about how to improve this?
Being about an week behind from freeciv server bleeding edge is probably only beneficial in that the most fatal bugs have already been found and fixes are available when we update freeciv-web. This night I, in addition to updating server some about 100 revisions forward, also made freeciv-web to display tile labels.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Great job on updating Freeciv-web, cazfi! I agree on trying to stay one week behind the cutting-edge SVN.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Next freeciv revision to take to use removes some fallback code that mainline freeciv no longer ever needs. I don't know if that's true for web-client. Worker activities need to be well tested before that change can be taken to production server.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I have pushed a new version of Freeciv-web to production now. I hope this release will do well in testing! I have tested it quite a bit myself, it seemed to work very well and was eager to get it out to production for better testing.

IZY5O: could you please check if you still get the "Nameless leader"-bug and the savegame-crashing-your-browser-bug?

cazfi: Related to the discussion about how recent a SVN revision of Freeciv we should use, I suggest we try to use about one week old Freeciv SVN revisions, unless critical bugs have been found in SVN revisions which are more recent. Today I first looked at the SVN revision which was one week old, then reviewed the commits from that date until today, and found several commits which would be beneficial to have included in the rollout to production, and settled on a revision which was about four days old. So perhaps the rule could be "use the Freeciv SVN revision from within the previous week which is lost likely to be stable"? In most cases this will be one week old, but in some cases more recent.