freeciv-web bugs

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

Re: freeciv-web bugs

Post by AndreasR »

Idonoghue wrote:I just started playing freeciv for the first time today after researching about it for awhile. Due to my circumstances I can only play Freeciv-web. I have to say, your doing a great job Andreas! Keep up the good work.

Top priority: I have been having tough time moving units. The drag feature is definitely a good idea but in my experience thus far it should be executed better. 4/5 times I try to drag/move a unit it instead drags the entire map. So I have ended up using the move button at the bottom most of the time.
Thanks for your kind feedback! Getting Freeciv-web to run nicely on the iPad is important to me. How do you suggest we improve the unit contols for moving units? Do you suggest to do more minor tweaks to prevent unwanted dragging of the entire map, or a completely different way of moving units?
Idonoghue

Post by Idonoghue »

I'm thinking maybe a little bit of both? To improve the drag feature would be to simply enlarge the region of the map that should be initially tapped to execute that particular command.

Another idea for movement that I think would be a great option for mobile users would be a small window with a table of arrows representative of all 8 possible directions. The window pops up every time you tap a unit that still has moves and disappears when the unit runs out of moves or is deselected. Of course in the spirit of Freeciv have an option to enable or disable it. ;)

Also, I think the pregame menu area could use some cleanup. There needs to be a popup every time something is loading. I've run into quite a few issues with the pregame menu area but I think most of it has been created when I tap a button while the program is still loading something else.
For instance, I tried starting a singleplayer game and this popped up on the cmdprompt:

All players are ready; starting game.
Isaac lost control cmdlevel on game start. Use voting from now on.
Isaac rules the British.
Lalitaditya rules the Kashmiris.
Fred Waite rules the Chickasaws.
Mona Rudao rules the Formosans.
Saye Zerbo rules the Burkinabes.
Jelena Petrović-Njegoš rules the Montenegrins.
Adolf I Georg rules the Lippians.
Pribina rules the Slovakians.

I waited for quite awhile but the map never showed up. I could tap settings and change things but no commands would appear when I typed them. It could have just been loading the map or something but I never could tell because I could still interact with the buttons which may have ended up throwing it off or something.

Well, I hope the feedback helps. :D
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hello AndreasR,

I'm new to the board, but I've been playing freeciv for years, both on my PC and now online using my iPad. I love it! You guys are doing an awesome job. :D

Being able to play on the iPad has been a life-saver for me. I now prefer it over playing on the PC. However, there are a few issues that can be a little frustrating. I do not use a keyboard, so all my input has to come from touching the screen. So far, you've done a great job of making almost every command accessible via screen input. But there are still a few that I can't do...

These are from Tassilo's list:
  • 2. Yellow command buttons don't correspond to the proper commands for the specific units. Examples:
    • c. Engineers can't transform terrain ("O" command)
    14. Can't change hometown of a unit.
And there is one more item, but this may be a rule issue:
  • 26) Cannot disband city via build settlers at size 1.
As for my priorities,

1 - I really would like to be able to transform terrain.
2 - Being able to disband a city would be very useful.
3 - Changing the hometown of a unit would be good too.

Thank you for all you do! :)

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

IZY5O wrote:Hello AndreasR,

I'm new to the board, but I've been playing freeciv for years, both on my PC and now online using my iPad. I love it! You guys are doing an awesome job. :D

Being able to play on the iPad has been a life-saver for me. I now prefer it over playing on the PC. However, there are a few issues that can be a little frustrating. I do not use a keyboard, so all my input has to come from touching the screen.

As for my priorities,

-IZY.
Hi there IZY5O,

Thanks for playing and testing Freeciv-web on the iPad. I have now fixed the three bugs in your list.
Could you please give the game a try now, and report what you think?

Regards,
Andreas
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

AndreasR wrote:
IZY5O wrote:Hello AndreasR,

Being able to play on the iPad has been a life-saver for me. I now prefer it over playing on the PC. However, there are a few issues that can be a little frustrating. I do not use a keyboard, so all my input has to come from touching the screen.

As for my priorities,

-IZY.
Hi there IZY5O,

Thanks for playing and testing Freeciv-web on the iPad. I have now fixed the three bugs in your list.
Could you please give the game a try now, and report what you think?

Regards,
Andreas
Hi Andreas,

Thanks! Will do. ;)

-IZY.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hello AndreasR,

I'm really enjoying the new buttons for transforming terrain and changing the home city of a unit, and the option to disband a city is perfect. Thank you! :D

By the way, good job with the city ruins sprite. It's kind of spooky. Startled me when I first saw it. One thing though, it seems a tad on the large side. It's difficult to see what else is in the tile. Might it be possible to shrink it by 10 or 15%?

Also, here are a couple of issues/bugs I've encountered in Freeciv-Web (using an iPad with no keyboard)...

- Buttons behave funky. (Never mind, it looks like this has been fixed in your latest update.) However, the "Goto" button is a little tricky. It sometimes continues/remains in effect for the next unit and, if I'm not careful, I sometimes send the next unit on a fool's errand. Oops!
- Spaces in renamed city names turn to "%20". When the game names a city, or when I name a city at the time it is created, spaces in the name are fine. However, when I rename a city, spaces in the name I typed are not fine. They display as "%20". This is the HTML code for a space so I'm wondering if there is something a little off in the code for the "rename" command.
- Need more icons in game manual. The newest icons are not in the current in-game manual. The description/explanation of the command is there, but no icon is shown next to it. Also, "autoexplore" is listed twice. (This is not critical, but it might be helpful for newcomers.)

Again, my thanks to you and all the others who have made it possible to play Freeciv on the iPad... I am forever in your debt. :)

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I have released a new version of Freeciv-web to the production server now. I wonder if you could please give it a try, and report the most important things that you think should be improved in the game?

About your comments:
"Buttons behave funky" - do you still get this problem? You said it was fixed?
"Spaces in renamed city names turn to "%20" - I'm not able to reproduce this problem on Chrome on Windows or on the iPhone 5. Do you still get this problem? Do you get this problem on all your devices and all city names with spaces?
"Need more icons in game manual" - I have updated to a new manual, like in the other Freeciv clients. What do you think of it now?

Andreas
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hi Andreas,

Okay. I will need a couple of days to test ( ;) ) all this new stuff. I will let you know what I find out.

Thank you!

-IZY.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

Hello Andreas,

Okay, you asked for it... ;)

- *BIGGEST PROBLEM* - Most important thing!!!

Regarding the issue with tech advancing too quickly... After careful observation, I think I found where the problem lies. The huts are fine. However, when I save a game and come back to it later, every player gets a bump in tech. I thought it was a problem with the huts, but it's not. Nope, apparently just leaving and coming back causes the problem. The way I play, I cannot spend hours at a time in the game, so I play one or two turns then save and come back later for another round of one or two turns, etc. Well, every time I reload the game, everyone gets a bump in tech!

- Command buttons behave funky -

Yes, some of the buttons were fixed last time but there are still a few that need some work...

The "Remove Pollution" and "Pillage" buttons still require two taps/touches (on the iPad) before the game will move on to the next unit. This problem is fixed in the other buttons, but these two still have it.

The "Goto" command button still has issues. It seems to leave garbage in the command queue because the next turn the unit has some random orders which may be invalid orders, or sometimes valid but mistaken orders. And the "Goto" button still continues/remains in effect for the next unit, and the next unit, until you finally choose an unreachable destination.

[Side Note] BTW... How is "Remove forest" and "Create forest" different from "Build irrigation" in forest and "Build mine" in jungle/swamp? Are these commands really necessary?

- Spaces in renamed city names turn to "%20" -

Yes, still get this problem. But not the first time you name a city. When you first "found" a city, naming it works fine. It's later, when you RENAME the city, that's when the spaces get turned into "%20". This happens on the iPad and an iMac using Safari.

- Game Manual -

New game manual is GREAT, but it's missing some tables (e.g. Chart of terrain effects/improvements).

- New Bugs -

Forgotten unit: Sometimes a unit gets into a permanent wait state, not sentry, but similar, without the S.

Nameless player: when the pirates first show up, their leader has no name. It simply says "Pirate leader unassigned".

Problem with caravan dialog box: When more than one caravan arrives at the start of a turn to the same city, the game has issues. The dialog boxes seem to interfere with each other. When you make your selection in the first box, it doesn't go away. You have to click the "x" to get rid of it and the next one doesn't respond so you have to click the "x"and you don't get credit for the caravans entering the city.

Okay, that's it for now. Hope it's not too overwhelming. :)

-IZY.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks! Seems I have lots of bugfixing to do here :) The first bug has been reported as a Freeciv bug here.

Update: I've fixed the research/savegame problem, as well as the traderoute-dialog problem. I'll get to the next problems when I get time.
Could you please verify that the research works as expected in savegames now? Thanks!

What is the next bug that is the most important thing you would like to see improved next?