freeciv-web bugs

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Tassilo

Re: freeciv-web bugs

Post by Tassilo »

AndreasR wrote:Thanks for the new batch of bugreports. I have fixed bugs #17, the others might take some more time to get fixed.
#18 isn't a bug, this is the default behavior in Freeciv, I think.
#21 can be solved by middle-clicking on the tile.

Could you please list the bugs again, sorted in order based on importance.

Also, what is the single most-important thing that you think should be improved to make Freeciv-web better to play?

Thanks for the help so far!
Well the new list I tried to order in importance too. I should have said that. I meant to say it was in order of importance, though I grant it's somewhat arbitrary since I don't pretend to speak for all.
#18 was default in freeciv, as I remember. In civ2 as well, I believe. But not in civ1. So basically as far as I remember, this rule is a throwback to civ1.

As far as the single thing to make freeciv-web better to play:
Sound effects. I always loved the sound effects in civ2. It made it much more fun to play. Even if I play my own music, I like to have sound effects. Of course we could make it optional. The thing is, I think working out all the bugs takes priority, rather than putting in sound. So I'm OK if this happens later.

I have other ideas too, if you want to hear them.
other ideas:
better visual representations. I like a city dialog to have more pictorial representations of trade, production, etc. Numbers are necessary and they're fine alone if all you care about is the bottom line, but I think the experience suffers if there aren't pretty things to look at. The same thing goes for the message box and all dialogs. Presentation matters. I don't want it to look like a command line.
Rule changes before the game: It's too cumbersome to change rules. I wish it were like freeciv where the menu is clear and explicit. typing in commands to navigate is too much.
The message boxes are weird. I have a problem with my browsers. Sometimes, on one computer with a 4:3 screen on which I'm running Chromium doesn't display the message box correctly. It's all the way at the bottom, and I can't move it or close it. (I'm currently unable to recreate this). Other times it works fine, it's at the top and you CAN close it. I do like the uncluttered simplified menu. I think that was a good move for a web-based game, especially for newbies.
more scenarios: I wish there were a more active community in scenario creations. I'd love to play a Russia-Crimea-Ukraine-NATO-China scenario. Or a North Korea homefront type of scenario. Obviously that's a ways down the line.
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

22) There's currently no way to check an intelligence report on another nation.
23) Sometimes my game becomes disconnected and there's no way to save the game.
Sir TryHard

Post by Sir TryHard »

Hello there, There's a few bugs for the people that use the "ChromeBook" users, which can't really download much data, Chromebooks are just large web browsers that have little to no ram and have some internet problems when larger devices take up the broadband. But of all the games I can play I am glad to say that almost every game that requires ram is hard to play but FreeCiv is pretty easy, the only thing that is pretty hard to do is actually save the game, at times its goes (/jsaveerror) and won't save. any ideas on how i could fix this?
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

24) There's no list of units supported in the city dialog. I have no way of knowing how much the city is spending in shields and food in support of its units.
Last edited by Tassilo on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

25) Borderless games. Sometimes a game doesn't feature any borders. If you move a unit outside your city under democracy (even within your city's radius) you get the unit penalty for unhappiness.
If this is a gameplay settings issue, then it should be easily changeable. One of the worst parts of the current freeciv-web is the difficulty in changing settings, including in the beginning. There needs to be a menu with checkboxes etc.
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

26) Cannot disband city via build settlers at size 1.
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

27) Usually when I make a deal with the computer for which I give a tech to get gold, even though I negotiated for example 50 gold, I make the deal, they get the tech, but I always get 0 gold. Getting gold essentially doesn't work. And I'm pretty sure it used to work.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Sir TryHard wrote:Hello there, There's a few bugs for the people that use the "ChromeBook" users, which can't really download much data, Chromebooks are just large web browsers that have little to no ram and have some internet problems when larger devices take up the broadband. But of all the games I can play I am glad to say that almost every game that requires ram is hard to play but FreeCiv is pretty easy, the only thing that is pretty hard to do is actually save the game, at times its goes (/jsaveerror) and won't save. any ideas on how i could fix this?
Thanks for the bugreport from a Cromebook device. I hope to fix any bugs in Freeciv-web which are specific to the Cromebook. Could you please post a screenshot of the error message you get?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Tassilo wrote:27) Usually when I make a deal with the computer for which I give a tech to get gold, even though I negotiated for example 50 gold, I make the deal, they get the tech, but I always get 0 gold. Getting gold essentially doesn't work. And I'm pretty sure it used to work.
Hi again Tassilo, thanks for all the bugreports. Could you please sort the bugs you have submitted in a list ordered so that the most important bugs come first? Then I'll know what to focus on next!
Idonoghue

Post by Idonoghue »

I just started playing freeciv for the first time today after researching about it for awhile. Due to my circumstances I can only play Freeciv-web. I have to say, your doing a great job Andreas! Keep up the good work.

A few suggestions:
Just for some background, I'm playing on an IPad Mini with the default Safari web browser.

Top priority: I have been having tough time moving units. The drag feature is definitely a good idea but in my experience thus far it should be executed better. 4/5 times I try to drag/move a unit it instead drags the entire map. So I have ended up using the move button at the bottom most of the time.

I agree with tassilo in that the interface should eventually get a makeover. The map and unit list windows are stuck to the bottom for me and it blocks my pop, amount of gold, etc.

Bug: I started the tutorial. After 15 turns or so my explorer had 2/3 moves but it wouldn't let me move him anywhere. So I just hit end turn. The end turn button greyed out, however the game never went to the next turn. When I tried exiting and coming back the save game had reverted to the save I did before the last save. This was my first game so it might have been a fluke, just thought I'd report it.

I'm learning C programming and want to start learning HTML so maybe I can help with small stuff this summer to keep me sharp :D