freeciv-web bugs

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Tassilo

freeciv-web bugs

Post by Tassilo »

Engineers can't transform terrain ("O" command)
Cannot tell if enemy cities are defenseless.
When units complete their turn, they still blink and it doesn't move on to the next unit
Cannot select precise unit in a stack or ship
Cannot disband unit in city to gain half production back
Go command too sensitive. Clicking on a unit often sends it far up the map.
Cannot rename city
Cities don't display corruption stats (but you can calculate them)
No city building goals.
Sometimes other countries won't "meet" even if you're in contact and are on good terms.
Cannot offer or demand money in negotiations. AI party can.
Cannot get reports for finished buildings
Tassilo

Re: freeciv-web bugs

Post by Tassilo »

OK so the stacked unit thing was a problem because I closed the detail window. The thing is. Unless you restart, there's no way to pull up the menu again.
Another problem I just found out is that none of my units can clean pollution.
Also, it's impossible to upgrade a unit.
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

When I press P, instead of cleaning pollution, it pillages my tile!
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

And no, none of the yellow little buttons have an option to do what I want.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the bugreport, I'll try to get these fixed. Patches welcome to github.

Perhaps you could please create a list of these bugs, and sort them based on what you think is most important?
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

OK here's my list in order of what I deem most urgent.
1. Cannot tell if enemy cities are defenseless. Need graphic representation, e.g. a star/asterisk
2. Yellow command buttons don't correspond to the proper commands for the specific units. Examples:
a. When I press P, instead of cleaning pollution, an engineer/worker pillages the tile! There is no clean pollution option among the yellow command buttons. It is impossible to clean pollution.
b. no paradrop for paratroopers available
c. Engineers can't transform terrain ("O" command)
d. no airlift possible
e. For engineers there's a 'build city' button. It doesn't do anything, but it shouldn't be there.
3. Go command too sensitive. Clicking on a unit often sends it far up the map. I suggest a time delay when clicking on a unit before it thinks it's being moved. You should be able to click on a unit without moving it. That's kinda hard to do as it is now.
4. it's impossible to upgrade a unit (unless L's workshop does it automatically)
5. When units complete their turn, they still blink and it doesn't move on to the next unit. I've had some success by pushing 'w' to move on to the next unit, but this shouldn't be the solution. When troops finish their turn, the next unit should be selected. On a similar note, when a new unit is built, you would never know about it since it won't activate on its own. Unless perhaps you cycle through your units (or you know the unit is there and you select it).
6 Once you close unit window, you can't reopen it unless you restart. After closing said window, you cannot select precise unit in a stack or ship
7. No city building goals.
8. Cannot disband unit in city to gain half production back. However, disbanding on the map still seems to give you that bonus. It's just not clear/available in the city dialog.
9. Cities don't display corruption stats (but you can calculate them yourself. A little cumbersome.)
10. Cannot get reports for finished buildings. I hate having to keep tabs on all my cities by checking them myself. Just tell me when it's done
11. Cannot rename city
12. Sometimes other countries won't "meet" even if you're in contact and are on good terms.
13. Cannot offer or demand money in negotiations. AI party can.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Most of these bugs have been fixed now, please give it a try again to see how it works now!

1-3: Fixed
4: Fixed, the keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-U.
5: Fixed
6: There is a button to show the unit window again, "Options" -> "Show unit box info". Could this be improved somehow?
7: Not fixed, Freeciv-web doesn't support worklists.
8: Fixed
9: Fixed
10: You get a message "City ___ has completed production of ____". Could this be improved somehow?
11: Fixed
12: I'm not able to reproduce this. Do you have some more info?
13: Fixed.

Your list of bugs was quite useful, please submit more bugs in a sorted list like this again if you would like to!
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

For #4, whenever I do this, I get a popup window with code because of my broswer. Is there a way to change this function? A button on the map screen would be great. Also, if you can afford to upgrade and press ctrl-U you have no opportunity to balk at the price. It simply does it. I wish there were an option to refuse an upgrade after you press ctrl-U.

9. Thanks for adding the corruption stat. Is there a way to differentiate between trade corruption and waste (production corruption)?

12. I haven't tried this recently. Anyone else have this happen? I think it might have had something to do with me pestering the AI too much. Is that a thing?

Thank you so much for making all these changes!! Much appreciated!

AndreasR wrote:Most of these bugs have been fixed now, please give it a try again to see how it works now!

1-3: Fixed
4: Fixed, the keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-U.
5: Fixed
6: There is a button to show the unit window again, "Options" -> "Show unit box info". Could this be improved somehow?
7: Not fixed, Freeciv-web doesn't support worklists.
8: Fixed
9: Fixed
10: You get a message "City ___ has completed production of ____". Could this be improved somehow?
11: Fixed
12: I'm not able to reproduce this. Do you have some more info?
13: Fixed.

Your list of bugs was quite useful, please submit more bugs in a sorted list like this again if you would like to!
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

I have another batch of bugs! Here's my somewhat arbitrarily ordered list:

14. Can't change hometown of a unit.

15. Sometimes when I'm moving unit using the keyboard directional buttons instead of go commands or the mouse, I will tell the unit to go to an adjacent square, only to see the unit chart another path, perhaps using the road next to it. This is problematic if I'm trying to attack because I receive the movement penalty. This also happens with ZOC conflicts. If for example I want to move down, but there's a ZOC issue, then the unit will auto reroute and perhaps go up, in the opposite direction. I would prefer if the unit simply canceled orders. The suggested solution would be to simply disable auto-rerouting for keyboard moves or for moves only spanning 1 tile.

Whenever you change your city radius allocations (food/production/trade), it doesn't always recalculate the statistics, especially for: turns remaining in production.
I'm unsure about when you have a city in disorder, if you reallocate resources to cancel the disorder, if the statistics correctly recalculate the resources. Can you check?

17. It's not apparent on the map that a stack contains more than one unit. Lacking a +

18. Production overrun isn't saved. Sometimes I switch to a smaller unit/building in production that leaves me with shield overrun. When the unit completes and the next one is built, it starts from 0. Perhaps I missed electing to save the overflow as a ruleset, but that should be the default.
Come to think of it, it may be that there's no production overrun saved for anything! Confirm?

19. You can't see in the city screen how much production is built up, how many shields. This is especially bothersome when you want to change production and have to evaluate whether it's worth your while.

20. When unit on sentry completes healing, it doesn't reactivate.

21. Active worker/engineer doesn't display what's on the tile beneath him (which improvements). It's usually visibly discernable, but sometimes not. I wish there were a text description of the terrain in the unit box.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the new batch of bugreports. I have fixed bugs #17, the others might take some more time to get fixed.
#18 isn't a bug, this is the default behavior in Freeciv, I think.
#21 can be solved by middle-clicking on the tile.

Could you please list the bugs again, sorted in order based on importance.

Also, what is the single most-important thing that you think should be improved to make Freeciv-web better to play?

Thanks for the help so far!