New version of Freeciv-web, now with Web Speech API support!

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

New version of Freeciv-web, now with Web Speech API support!

Post by AndreasR »

A new version of Freeciv-web has been released to the live server now!

The new version features spoken game messages, which are spoken using your browser's Web Speech API. It works in the latest version of Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge Browser. It is also supported in Firefox, but there the media.webspeech.synth.enabled config-variable has to be enabled in the about:config window.

Spoken game messages is not enabled by default, so it must be enabled in the pregame config dialog. (Settings -> Speech messages). What do you think, could it be enabled by default?

This new released also contains an updated Freeciv server which updated ruleset, so unfortunately this could have an impact on savegames.

Please give the new release a try and report what you think here!

Andreas
louis94
Hardened

Re: New version of Freeciv-web, now with Web Speech API support!

Post by louis94 »

AndreasR wrote:It is also supported in Firefox, but there the media.webspeech.synth.enabled config-variable has to be enabled in the about:config window.
I quickly tested it on my Linux box, it doesn't seem to work (tested with both Chromium 52 and Firefox 48). Is there anything special needed for it to work on Linux ?

Louis
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

louis94 wrote:Is there anything special needed for it to work on Linux ?
Chromium needs an API key to access the web services it uses for tts.

Mozilla Firefox based browsers need a tts implementation that can be accessed via Speech Dispatcher. On Debian it worked after I installed speech-dispatcher-festival and enabled web speech in about:config.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

sveinung wrote: Chromium needs an API key to access the web services it uses for tts.
I won't use a service hosted by Google if I can avoid it.
sveinung wrote: Mozilla Firefox based browsers need a tts implementation that can be accessed via Speech Dispatcher. On Debian it worked after I installed speech-dispatcher-festival and enabled web speech in about:config.
Installing festival apparently isn't enough, Firefox 49+ is needed. I'll have to wait until September :)

Thanks anyway,
Louis