Test game announcement: Sim ruleset for Freeciv 3.0

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
Corbeau
Elite

Test game announcement: Sim ruleset for Freeciv 3.0

Post by Corbeau »

Ladies and gentlemen, the 3.0 version of the Sim ruleset is now syntaxerrorless! This means it is working, but probaby not that it is working as intended (although miracles are possible, I guess). It is a technological jump and glitches are to be expected. This is why we are running a test game first.

I will do some home testing in the following days and weeks, but for a real test, it needs live guinea pigs. If you'd like to help test the ruleset, but also do some sandbox practice for The Real Thing, join the guineapigsty here:

https://longturn.net/game/Sim30Test/

The game should start within October, closer to its end but feel free to sign up now. Signups are not possible once the game starts!

Simulation ruleset is a ruleset aimed at, well, simulating reality and the flow of human history, of course, within the frame of Freeciv mechanics. It is the most different of all other known rulesets in play mostly because it is introducing conceptual changes to the game, not (only) new units, techs and steps in nation development. For more information, check here (click).
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Test game announcement: Sim ruleset for Freeciv 3.0

Post by Corbeau »

(Almost) last call for signing up to the game with "the best ruleset nobody is playing"! What does this mean? Quite a few times so far, in our Discord discussions about rulesets, someone would say "Sim solved this nicely". However, when the game is announced, everybody is already busy with other games that have already started or is waiting for the next team game that they've been preparing for six months or some other... lame excuse :P

So there is a gap. Not many players are filling it so there is still room. It is possible that this ruleset will become more popular with time, and if you've been checking it from the beginning, you may have a head start ;)

Simulation ruleset is fashionable. Other rulesets are for the plebs. Join with the elite. You have less than 48 hours. The game should start on Saturday. There will be no joining in once it starts! (Unless there are idlers.)

For details about how to join, check the first post.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

This uses standard freeciv-3.0 client, doesn't it? In that case Windows users may want to keep an eye on this thread. Currently the latest built there is older than beta3, but I may get a new build out this weekend.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Game has started! HOWEVER! Along with testing the ruleset, this game will apparently be used to test the new and improved Freeciv21 client developed by the Longturn team. The game seems to be working, but, again, we need to test if everything is working the way it should.

To get the Freeciv21 client, download it here:
https://github.com/longturn/freeciv21/releases

If you can't connect to your nation (after connecting to the game) use

Code: Select all

/take (your name)
in the chat box
--
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Before anyone thinks (or worse; starts working on porting stuff) that we (freeciv.org) get something back from freeciv21, note that their license (GPL3) prevents it. Freeciv is GPL2+.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Excuse me?

Ok, I'm an amateur when it comes to both coding and licences so some clarification would be helpful.

Firstly, porting is prevented in which direction? Fc21 to Fc.org or the other way around?

And secondly and more importantly, how does a licence PREVENT someone to port stuff? This is all opensource, innit? How can taking or pushing stuff from one place to another be forbidden?
--
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

cazfi wrote:Before anyone thinks (or worse; starts working on porting stuff) that we (freeciv.org) get something back from freeciv21, note that their license (GPL3) prevents it. Freeciv is GPL2+.
I guess porting new features would imply a full rewrite anyway since they are written in C++ and use Qt (also server-side), while Freeciv uses plain C with very minimal dependencies. So the license is by far not the only thing that would prevent getting things back.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

louis94 wrote:I guess porting new features would imply a full rewrite anyway since they are written in C++ and use Qt (also server-side), while Freeciv uses plain C with very minimal dependencies. So the license is by far not the only thing that would prevent getting things back.
Thanks for info. I looked only at the license, and no futher, as it already made anything else irrelevant.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:And secondly and more importantly, how does a licence PREVENT someone to port stuff? This is all opensource, innit? How can taking or pushing stuff from one place to another be forbidden?
The difference between Public Domain and Open Source is that latter has the licenses dictating how it can be used, instead of being completely wild west. Freeciv21 license requires that anyone using their code complies with GPL3. Freeciv on the other hand allows use of our code under GPL2 too. We can't take freeciv21's GPL3-only code and pass it to our GPL2 users, stripping the requirement in the process.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Ok, I did some education. Isn't GPL2 outdated? Why not upgrade it to GPL3 which is more complete and better defined? If I understood correctly, the procedure is simply declaring it so.
--