Hal Saflieni Hypogeum (small wonder)

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
wieder
Elite

Hal Saflieni Hypogeum (small wonder)

Post by wieder »

We have been introducing some adjustments to the game and Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum is the longturn.net view on the extremely early and quickly obsoleting small wonders.

This is from the in-game help:

Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum is thought to have been a sanctuary and necropolis. \
It pre-dates bronze age and was one of the first, if not the first, shrines built. \
With this wonder, the city having it will get +6 additional lux. The effect \
of this very early wonder ends with the invention of bronze. \

This is part of our process of changing the wonders back to what they should be. Stuff that gives the player short term advantage instead of boosting the player for more than 50% of the turns. This way building the wonders is a choice instead of a must. That's how it should be on a multiplayer game.
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Re: Hal Saflieni Hypogeum (small wonder)

Post by Hans Lemurson »

My only complaint about the wonder is the use of non-latin characters in its name. We don't call the Colossus "Κολοσσός", do we?
Seriously, the first time I played with it, I thought I had some sort of strange graphical glitch of a font file had gotten corrupted.

And the worst part: Do you know how the Ħ is pronounced? Identically to the H in "Horse" or "Hall" (in standard english pronunciation)

Anyways, sorry about my rant.

Yes, I think it's a good idea to have some wonders whose purpose is to support a strategy, rather than just being yet another box to tick.
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Some of the cit names use non a-z letters bet yeah, that's maybe different. This was discussed on discord and the decision about changing it or keeping it as it is has not yet been made. Maybe it might be better to change it and move the non-latin charater name to the help text so that it it won't confuse people.

Good rants are.. good ones :)
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Hey! I want non-Latin characters to stay! They add a lot of spice to the game!
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...