The story of LT38 (review)

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
wieder
Elite

The story of LT38 (review)

Post by wieder »

Thanks to Cgalik for writing this. The original thread can be found here: http://forum.longturn.org/viewtopic.php?id=827

This is to give new players some idea about what kind of games to expect when playing Freeciv multiplayer games. This particular game, LT38, was a team game with two teams. Blue and Red. Not all games are with teams. Those without pre-defined teams allow the players to decide who to ally with.

/****/

Here's how I best remember LT38. Others please chime in to correct me.

LT38 was a solid game with no exploits. It was pretty balanced most of the game.

We did have several idlers from the start: elpollodiablo (played by mostly chill) and Joris. (any mmm2 tried a quick horse attack and after finding help from me and Luke7658 he decided to quit and ptizoom took over his nation very early on.

Immediate war between Sketlux+Zoe vs. Kocurek in which Blue team slowly won.

Hanoverians (played well by ptizoom) had a stalemate for most of the game vs Ferg, Corbeau and Sketlux. We'd took a city, only later to have Sokrat/ptizoom come in and take several back. Only to lose those back to us.

chill was isolated on his own for much of the game vs several Red team and held his ground well. All the way until engineers could terraform and bring in some land help. He held off several nation befores help from the Blue team made slow and steady progress.

Sokrat and Joris were left to grow with no war and Sokrat was the tech leader much of the game.

Lord_P led in population for a lot of the game and had successful raids taking down some Marduk cities and later hacker cities that Sokrat had to come take back.

I was lucky and started on a peninsula with water on 3 sides and no land enemies. I was able to grow and expand and grab unclaimed land from o01eg and hold back many small attacks. This good placement along with +2 food harbors gave me wonderfully big cities and trade. But far away cities were pretty much useless due to corruption/waste.

All the land was grabbed and the Blue Team found the big island first. ptizoom also tried to settle it, but was taken back by Lord_P and Blue Team. This island seemed inconsequential anyways because corruption/waste was so bad out there.

Eventually ferg led a surprise attack on Sokrat/Hanoverians that gave us a strong hold on several Sokrat cities.

wieder jumped in for Joris and build Great Library and Isaac Newton's College in quick fashion turns. This enabled him to rush research and start catching up very fast. Note, Marco's Polo's Embassy was not built this game, so no +30% trade bonus. This slowed down the game a bit, which was nice.

The Red team employed the "Global warming" tactic and left pollution on their land. This led to +8% global warming/turn which gave sometimes every other turn GW. Eventually this backfired as Sokrat used this in his reason for surrendering. smile

Sokrat beat me to flight, but I soon passed him after that getting Stealth Bombers and carriers. Sokrat surrendered but wieder kept on fighting while waiting for the rest of the team to surrender. Wieder started to research nuclear fission, but after wieder lost his 6th capital a civil war finally ensued and his nation's successful liberation. smile Sokrat's nation was also split, but after he left.

It was a solid LT game. Much thanks for wieder for admin and for akfaew behind the scenes on the server. And even more thanks for the Red team being a good, fun opponent.