Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
Corbeau
Elite

Re: LongTurn Game 8 for Freeciv-web

Post by Corbeau »

Turn 10

270 players

114 (42%) active on this and the previous turn
42 (16%) idle for 9 turns (went idle after Turn 1)
16 idle for 8 turns (went idle after Turn 2)
20 idle for 7 turns (went idle after Turn 3)
20 idle for 6 turns (went idle after Turn 4)
12 idle for 5 turns (went idle after Turn 5)
15 idle for 4 turns (went idle after Turn 6)
13 idle for 3 turns (went idle after Turn 7)
16 idle for 2 turns (went idle after Turn 8)

2 AI away
1 dead

Fun fact: five turns ago there were 115 active players (58%), meaning, for each player that joined, one went inactive.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

wieder wrote: I really like the idea of web multiplayer and I will be playing one of the games in the future.
Would you be interested in running an instance of the Freeciv-web server on longturn.org, to host a Longturn game there as a test? Perhaps that would increase the number of players in the games there. What operating system does longturn.org run on? I could help you set it up.
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Hard to say. I'm not doing the server related stuff on longturn.org but akfaew is. I'm only guessing that at the moment we don't have the resources for setting up new stuff. Pretty much all the time we have goes for planning new games and rulesets for them. However never say never.

Maybe we could add links to the web/client based games for those who like the game but want to try something different? After all I don't see web/client based games competing but completing each other. Using the web client makes it possible to join at any time and that's very convenient for people who like to play from different locations. Using the native client offers a different approach to the game and with smaller audience this is maybe for those who want to pay attention to every detail of the game. The same is of course possible for users of both native/web client and I'm kind of guessing the differences based on short tests and reading the forum.

Back in the days when there was the Greatturn community, some people thought it was the competing branch of longturn.org and the games competed with each other. After Greatturn was no more, longturn.org received lots of new players from the Greatturn community. This however didn't last that long. The longturn.org games were different from the Greatturn games and some people were disappointed about it. It would have been much better for everyone if Greatturn would have been able to continue games so that people would have been able to return there if longturn.org was not what they were looking for. Playing there for a while and maybe giving a second try to the other branch.

I believe that the native client multiplaywer games can be improved with the experiences from web multiplayer games and also the other way around. I'm only guessing that once web multiplayer finds those new admins you were looking for, there will be custom rulesets for some of the new games?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

I thought of a(nother) way to detect POSSIBLE cheaters, but for that it would be good to have the data from the Nations tab/screen somehow extracted into a spreadsheet, either through a script (anyone?) or through the save file (Andreas?). I am not going to say more publicly, if someone can make this (spreadsheet) happen, please send me a PM.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Pandolio

Post by Pandolio »

Guys the link for the discord chat has expired.

Could send another one?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Pandolio wrote:Guys the link for the discord chat has expired.

Could send another one?
There is a Discord box on play.freeciv.org where you can join. Does that work?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

There is a possible problem.

If idler-replacing newcomers get all techs known to 40 other people, that may actually put them into advantage comparing to some persistant players who have been playing from the start, but didn't do so well.

On the other hand, maybe it's simply balancing the disadvantage of taking over a nation that has been inactive for at least 12 turns.

Not sure myself, but it maybe worth thinking about it.

But I really think that, in a game with dozens of players of varying experience lever, there should be techleak.
--
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Freeciv-web uses the multiplayer ruleset. Techleak is a ruleset setting. Please submit a request to http://www.hostedredmine.com/projects/freeciv/issues if you think the multiplayer ruleset should be changed.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

I don't think that the Multiplayer ruleset should be changed by default. I think that the ruleset should adapt to the specifics of the game that is being played. Techleak in a short-turn game with two, three or four players would be bad. But having a hundred players and Longturn environment is a very different matter.

One shoe doesn't fit all. The only issue is how much you want your game to be well set and adjusted for the conditions it is being played with.
--
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Hostedredmine is the way that you as a user can request changes to Freeciv and Freeciv-web. Please use it. This will also involve the other Freeciv developers. Freeciv-web will use the multiplayer ruleset for LongTurn games, and Hostedredmine is the way to suggest changes to that.