LongTurn Game 8 for Freeciv-web

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
AndreasR
Elite

LongTurn Game 8 for Freeciv-web

Post by AndreasR »

You can now join LongTurn Game 8 for Freeciv-web!

These are the news about Freeciv-web LongTurn games:
- A validated Google Account is required to participate in the LongTurn games on Freeciv-web. This is to prevent multi-accounting.
- LongTurn game 8 has been started today! It will have up to 300 unique human players.
- All the settings for LongTurn game 8 can be seen here. In particular, technology trading is enabled.

-LongTurn games 1-7 have been ended. I will post the scores of the top players in these games shortly. The main reason for closing them down is because of cheating, hacking and multi-accounting. Requiring a Google account will to some extent reduce these problems.

This has been done to improve future LongTurn games on Freeciv-web. Please report any bugs, and know that this change is been done with good intentions. Have a nice day!
Marduk

Re: LongTurn Game 8 for Freeciv-web

Post by Marduk »

Wow, didn't see that coming! I guess it's unavoidable, but it's a real pity.

If it's somehow possible to identify the hacker(s), please let me know. We can ban them for life also at longturn.org. People invest a lot of time in these games, so those hackers have really done a lot of damage.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Freeciv server shows the IP of the player so it's far less simple.

As for the shutdown... Anyone else starting to see what I was getting at? :D
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Banning people permanently is a tricky subject. I would usually vote for not banning because in many cases the same people will find a way back anyway and it's better if people know with who they are dealing with.

Then again longturn.org games are not that vulnerable to multi accounting since the players can't join after the game has started. I'm not saying that the games would be immune to it. Far from it. The problem is that with compensations for players joining late you don't need to actually play the early game for getting the resourcses. If someone would create 10 nations for himself/herself it would take lots of effort to play those from T0 on longturn.org. That would be almost a second day job for a player who would like to really make those nations great. Also, since our games are smaller they are also more focused on the players who quite often have a reputation. People quite often know how how half of the players play and while not always a good thing, it's also nice to know potential allies and enemies + makes multiaccount cheating less tempting. I can imagine the same would happen for web multiplayer after the players start getting more reputation.

I could imagine a ranking system would help against multi accounting. It's not doing that for longturn.org but here with 300 player games it might make some real difference.
Civothy

Post by Civothy »

Wow, just... wow.

All the games are gone and there's no way to even look at the maps and see how people were doing? We're going to get nothing but a list of the best players (which I most assuredly am not)? Complete weaksauce with an extra helping of fail.

I was having a lot of fun exploring, building, and struggling with the other folks in the three LongTurn games I was in, but no more. I do not have a Google account and I do not want one. I'm not on Pinterest or Twitter or Facebook or anything like that.

So I guess that means I don't get to play anymore. I'm fairly certain no one will care enough to do anything about that, though. I won't let the door hit me on my way out.
Playing Freeciv-web on a Mac running OS X 10.12.3 via Safari 10.0.3
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

I hope this affair doesn't repel people from general longturn experience. There are many more possibilities out there and it is the best way to play the best game there is :)

And, for the record, I understand the sour feeling people are getting, but I can't help but look at all of it with a smile, since I got my portion of sour a few weeks ago and am now simply observing people take the path I already passed :)

But seriously, it's a great game and a very good community. Stick around.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Lexxie
Veteran

Post by Lexxie »

1. Can we play the game AND know the rules under which we are playing? Where do I find the exact ruleset?

2. Can we get a promise before this game gets going too far, that:
a. It won't end right in the middle, and
b. There will be no arbitrary decisions, changes, or external interference done to it after it starts? (Exception: punishing a cheater in a way that only affects his account, not changing rules for anyone else.)

I do not want to invest time into this game only to have the rules change in the middle of it and possibly mess up my whole strategy, or the game to disappear in the middle of months of investment, or to have other major external decisions "come from the sky". Who agrees with me on this?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the feedback, Lexxie.

1. The ruleset is the multiplayer ruleset, with this patch applied: https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv-web/blob/develop/freeciv/patches/multiplayer_movement_rates.patch

2.a) Yes.
2.b) Yes.
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Maybe the web multiplayer games could use winning conditions (+ rules) similar to the ones we have been using for longturn.org games. Here is an example of the winning conditions for LT37.

http://forum.longturn.org/viewtopic.php?id=669

In addition to that there are also general rules for playing and running the games.

http://www.longturn.org/rules/

With similar I don't meat exactly similar rules but idea about listing how the games should be administrated, implemented and played.

Since we run so few games compared to web multiplayer the winning conditions cgange from game to game. You can find different setups from the forum. Some of the winning conditions worked well and some not that well. Also depends on what kind of game you want to have. Focused on war, economy, co-opertation, bertayal.... Whatever :)
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

wwwoooooowwwwwwww....

If a game isn't fun anymore we can choose to leave on our own. Making that decision for us is.. not real cool. I'm feeling VERY hesistant about starting in Game 8 now.. especially with it set to 300 players again. We don't have 300 players. Virtually everyone agrees it should be more like 150 players. (some even want less, but everyone would be happy to see it at 150 players)

What a mess.