LongTurn Game 8 for Freeciv-web

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
Corbeau
Elite

Re: LongTurn Game 8 for Freeciv-web

Post by Corbeau »

Actually, 300 players is good. The thing is, there will be roughly 60-80% of idlers regardless of the number of players so more players gives more active people. And also more idlers to satisfy the more bloodthirsty tastes.

The general idea of Freeciv Web (all versions) is for people to be able to join in immediately and, if nothing else, get a taste of it. I completely agree with this because it draws in new people and speaks to the population that hasn't had the opportunity to check out Longturn before.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

Corbeau wrote:The thing is, there will be roughly 60-80% of idlers regardless of the number of players so more players gives more active people.
No that's not a thing. That's not how it works. If we set the game to 30 players it'd be a very low percentage of idlers. If we set the game to 1 million players, we wouldn't suddenly go up to 200,000-400,000 players either.

I do like there being a good amount of extra player slots for new players to jump in but 300 is at least 100 too many. Having a high percentage of idlers annoys some people too. Certainly it's a bit of a disappointment to most people who join then see a vast majority are idlers.

But, w/e, that's not as big an issue as certain other things.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

You don't get it. Active players and idlers don't come in batches, "active first and then idlers fill up". When a random player appears, you don't know if he is an idler of a future active. It's simply first come, first served.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Dealing with idlers is not easy. On the other hand removing an idling nation will change the balance of the game. Then again if an idler is just left there someone may get tons of nice cities and resources really cheap if the idler left the cities producing city improvements.

I have been thinking that one solution would be setting the idler cities to produce units. The problem with this is that it's not possible to automate that. At least on longturn.org games.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Well, simply, turn and idler into an AI. it may not be the best player, but at least it makes moderately reasonable choices.

That is, if we're discussing generaly. When it comes to Web version, it is a very good argument that people who simply stumble by should be allowed to hop in and get a taste of the game. If they like it, they will stay.
--
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Less talking more acting! :D SG1 at http://longturn.org/game/SG1/ is about to begin and the more join the better. Im going to add a few more cities and probably cities structures to speed up things, maybe this can compensate a little for the lost games. Its the first scenario and not the most developed one but if this works well more are to come!

For more scenarios: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=809
alekito

Post by alekito »

Hi, it is very sad that the previous long turn games have ended.. we have been enjoying for months and game is now closed without notice.
Regarding multiplayer, I don't really see the issue. I don't think it is unfair, especially because tech trading is disabled, map and number of players is huge. I personally played 2 players without intention to get benefit of this, just because I wished to play more.
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

Corbeau wrote:You don't get it. Active players and idlers don't come in batches, "active first and then idlers fill up". When a random player appears, you don't know if he is an idler of a future active. It's simply first come, first served.

If what you're trying to say is the people who join might go inactive thus we need extra spots, I get it. Thats why I advocated 150 spots instead of 30. 300 is way way way way more than needed. There was still lots of open spots in previous games despite tons of multiaccounts. Not to mention if a player joins then goes idle he can be replaced. So no, Corbeau, you're wrong on this and need to give it more thought.
Canik
Veteran

Post by Canik »

Really, considering idle humans players can be replaced by new humans.. we could prolly do 100 player and still have plenty of spots always available for new player no problem.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

You forget that there were 7 games open and that not everybody was eager to play in all of them. That's why all spots were not filled. In the first few games there were no empty spots very quickly. Now that there is only one, I don't think it's a problem if it's so massive.
--