Longturn input for freeciv-3.0

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Longturn input for freeciv-3.0

Post by Corbeau »

wieder wrote:6 settlers on the other hand resulted with some new type of strategies we didn't want to really embrace. However. Never say never :D
If you mean "pile all settlers into one city", that seems a valid strategy, it is available to everyone and has downsides, so I don't see the problem ;)
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Yeah, it's a valid strategy but maybe not something we would like to make more easy. It makes it easier to deploy a strategy where you want to focus 100% on military unit production in an attempt to kill some specific player. Without even trying to survive in a long run.

Then again, it's not something that would really break the game or even make that strategy too powerful. Would you like to see more start units for future games?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

wieder wrote:The best example is building a road 10sec before TC and then using that road 10sec after the tc. It's possible if the attacking units didn't move and usually they can wait for the moment of action if all is planned well.
One idea I had for this (I don't think I've expressed it anywhere yet though) was the option to have unitwaittime apply to terrain alterations. That is, if the turn ends while some of the units necessary to complete the terrain alteration have moved/acted within the unitwaittime, the alteration isn't finished. I wouldn't necessarily say those units' contribution be negated, so if an alterations takes more than one turn anyways, you should be able to start it right before one turn ends, since there's still time for another person to react, but if the alteration getting finished depends on units that just came here, it would be delayed one turn. This would apply both to cases where you have a stack of engineers try to do something instantly, and to work that has already been going on for a while and only receives assistance at the end.
This could be bundled into a bit field with restrictinfra, and there could also be different levels of severity, e.g. "units can't do work within unitwaittime" vs. "units can't finish work within unitwaittime" as well as different levels of where it is restricted, e.g. "within hostile borders", "outside domestic borders" etc.

Do you think this would alleviate unfair actions around the turn change?
~ AVL
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Well, if the only problem with creating one large city is killing off people too early, then give everyone a few warriors so that they can defend themselves early and that's it. Yes, more units would mean a quicker start. But... how did this end up in this topic? This should also be here :P
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...