LongTurn Game 2 for Freeciv-web

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
AndreasR
Elite

Re: LongTurn Game 2 for Freeciv-web

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the pragma pack patch, I will apply it.
Any chance you could create a patch for dynamic city name length memory allocation?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Game crash detected :)
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Server maintenance. Nothing to worry about.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Oh! So I jumped in exactly the moment between server restart and loading the last save :D
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

It occurred to me that in a large game memory usage can peak significantly at the moment server constructs savegame in memory.

I hope you have spread out turn change times of longturn games so that they are not all taking maximum server resources at the same time.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

cazfi wrote:It occurred to me that in a large game memory usage can peak significantly at the moment server constructs savegame in memory.

I hope you have spread out turn change times of longturn games so that they are not all taking maximum server resources at the same time.
Do you mean when the server is autosaving? How do you suggest I spread out turn change times for the already running games? I could set slightly different turn timeout values. At the moment, the server is able to handle these games just fine, so it is not urgent.

In order to support even more and larger LongTurn games, I hope that we can be able to reduce the base idle memory usage of the Freeciv processes down from approximately 1,5Gb per process.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

By the way, the production server was not able to start a 500 player LongTurn game. The web client was stuck in pregame and the game never started. Starting the exact same game on my Pc running Vagrant worked. The server is slower than my Pc, so perhaps something is timing out. Perhaps you could help me test starting a 500 player LongTurn game with 30000 tiles on Freeciv-web on your setup?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

AndreasR wrote:Do you mean when the server is autosaving? How do you suggest I spread out turn change times for the already running games? I could set slightly different turn timeout values.
Yes.

Today: increase timeout BY
Game 2 - 15 minutes
Game 3 - 30 minutes
Game 4 - 45 minutes
Game 4 - 60 minutes

Tomorrow: reduce all timeouts back to 23 hours.
--
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Corbeau wrote:
AndreasR wrote:Do you mean when the server is autosaving? How do you suggest I spread out turn change times for the already running games? I could set slightly different turn timeout values.
Yes.

Today: increase timeout BY
Game 2 - 15 minutes
Game 3 - 30 minutes
Game 4 - 45 minutes
Game 4 - 60 minutes

Tomorrow: reduce all timeouts back to 23 hours.
Problem being that once the server is restarted for maintenance and the latest savegames are loaded, the current timeout is reset so they will all be in sync again. Possible solution: Add an option to modify the current turn's timeout, so that when restarting the server, you can manually knock a few minutes on or off some of the clocks. Alternatively, the time left on the clock when shutting down could be stored in the save file and just loaded again. That way, the games would drift apart slightly on their own if their shutdown times are closer to each other than their load times.
~ AVL
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

LongTurn game 2 is now at turn 101! Game 2 is a testing game which we can use to improve and better understand this type of game on Freeciv-web.

Here is a screenshot of the overview map, showing the borders of all nations: