Longturn

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
Arbogast
Elite

Re: Longturn

Post by Arbogast »

I think you answer your own questions GRIME.
My impression is that the similarities that you point out of GT & LT makes them attractive to two different kinds of players, yet they are similar.
Another impression is that one should put personal opinions aside, not trying to guess what people want and just launch the whole she-bang. People's answer should point which way to go.
Any idea when should we expect to Civland and GT & LT to be up and running?
(I'm sure Corbeau may have some good comments, and I'm surprised by his silence)
the Grime

Post by the Grime »

Since no news here, I'll setup civland on its own server. I expect it should be running towards the end of the month.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Yeah "the lack of news..." it ain't the first time, either.
Civland by the end of the month? I already have a bottle of champagne cooling :roll:
the Grime

Post by the Grime »

Time to break it out then.. it's back up.

Greatturn functionality has not yet been restored. Maybe I'll get to that in the next week.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Uh... Howdy... Maybe I should pop into discussion, since I've been called out by name :) Anyway, for an unknown reason I rarely visit this particular forum... Sorry :) But I may repair that error.

Anyway, the main thing I prefer with GT is, believe it or not, the forum. It is ABSOLUTELY the prettiest of the three :) Ok, yeah, not the most important thing, but does sets a tone to the community :) Apart from that, it is much more functional than the LT one. It seems the LT forum admin(s) have a personal dislike towards, for example, Private Message system, which I consider a personal quirk that has no place in managing a community. But it's their decision that has its consequences and they are the ones to consider it. Also, GT forum has (had) the option of creating secret subforums which has been abused to the max in both games I participated in. (Nimrod and some others can verify ;)) For this reason, I'm against merging the GT and LT forums. As for merging GT and this one, it can be discussed.

As for other, non-forum things, I've been present too short in GT and LT communities (especially LT) to be able to say anything about the differences. However, I have heard several people stating the same thing about the atmosphere, saying that GT is more relaxed and LT is very VERY military-victory-oriented. What I like to say is, people, this is Civilization, not Warcraft. (And I usually get a response that it's not Warcraft, but it's not Sim City either; fair enough). There were also some remarks that I won't repeat here that give way to a thought that merging the overall LT and GT communities (whatever is left from the latter) would be very difficult, maybe even impossible, if at all desirable.

A side-remark about the differences in playstyle: I believe that there is no room for pacifism in Civ games. Even the most peaceful player should be able to cope with aggression; the problem here is ganging up or simply having the misfortune of having more aggressive neighbours than is good for your health. The latter is just life, the previous is a problem and should be dealt with by the players themselves. I'm definitely against imposing any kind of rules. If someone doesn't like something, they should connect with people who share the same beliefs and take it upon themselves to change it. In other words, I'm all for the sheep ganging up to slaughter the wolves. It's the only way that this can and should be done.

One battleground where this difference in approaches may become even more visible are rulesets. Some rulesets favour some kinds of play, others favour others. Some people will like one, others will like others. There is nothing that can be done about it. So there is bound to be some segmentation even if the communities did merge.

So those were just some random thoughts, maybe a bit incoherent, I was actually on my way to bed and then got stuck here... damn you all...
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

At last the occasional visitor has spoken! And I was right: his opinions are interesting, whether right or wrong. I myself, have discovered some-much inside info from these threads and ALL those who participate(d) in them. So THANKS!
Strategy Thinker

Down

Post by Strategy Thinker »

Is longturn down for you guys as well?
taulover

Re: Down

Post by taulover »

Strategy Thinker wrote:Is longturn down for you guys as well?
Yes. Website and servers both appear to have been down for about two days now.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

A message from Wieder, posted it on GT forum two days ago:
The server LT34 is using went down early today and we are not yet sure when it will be back online. I was told that if it can't be restarted today, it will probably take until Monday to have it back. Anyway, when the game is restarted and the game loaded from the latest save (the remote copy is about from mid T31) and the timeout will be extended so that everyone will be able to catch up. If it will take more than full 23h to get the game back, and it probably will, we will probably use about 3*23h timeout.

And yeah, unfortunately the www is on the same server so I can't post this there, at least not yet.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

The longturn website is down. A message on the metaserver displays the following: Longturn is down for 30 days ...