Longturn

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Longturn

Post by AndreasR »

the Grime wrote:
Point by point:
1) I believe that the Greatturn code should be released to the general public, and my plan is to do do just that.
I'm very glad to hear that Greatturn will be open source! I'm sure that more people will help working on Greatturn when the source code is available. How is the progress with the new Greatturn going now?

Andreas
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

I foresee a potentially important problem for the pay-to-play model :

Should the first game be considered free, and every subsequent game is paid, then the vast majority of players will limit themselves to one game at a time.

I recall that there were several games going concurrently near the end. I for one was playing 4 games concurrently at one point (ouch!).

The natural consequence to limiting oneself to one game at a time will be an increase in the number of idlers and bailers. Why continue to play a game if things are going sour, and in order to play another game you would have to pay to play? No, I predict most players will simply stop playing their "free" game, and then opt into a new game instead. This will of course exacerbate the idler/bailer problem (which was already an issue), and spoil many a game for those who are doing well.

So yeah, I can't see how paying for any number of games will foster a growing community. If anything, it might destroy it quicker than ever.

The challenge, as far as I can see, is to somehow mesh the web and client communities into one. However, that doesn't seem to be an option (yet). Another possibility is to mesh the already viable LT community with the GT community. United we stand, and all those platitudes.
=======
Nimmy
=======
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I don't know if I agree or not with Nimrod on this.
It's the principle of it that bothers me. Mind you, multi-player has never being my thing, but I almost got into LT -until it went off line.
And yeah! LT & GT should be one.
Nimrod:: Another possibility is to mesh the already viable LT community with the GT community. United we stand, and all those platitudes.
Quite Right!
(I dint not get this right, but what the hell)
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

It's almost a month since the Great Turn Debacle, and nothing since then as far as I can see. Nothing from Grime either.
the Grime

Post by the Grime »

Believe it or not, I am alive.

I have the code & website in hands, but haven't had the time to do much with it yet. I should have Civland back up reasonably soon (though, maybe it'd be better to integrate it here?). I hate to have the community split as it was, and I think this is a more logical place for all things freeciv.

Any thoughts on this?
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Civland here would be peachy! And without any technical knowledge I vote for LT and GT to be together. :mrgreen:
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

the Grime wrote:Believe it or not, I am alive.

I have the code & website in hands, but haven't had the time to do much with it yet. I should have Civland back up reasonably soon (though, maybe it'd be better to integrate it here?). I hate to have the community split as it was, and I think this is a more logical place for all things freeciv.

Any thoughts on this?
There is no reason to split the community. I suggest you put the source code of Greatturn on Github now. This is an open source project.
the Grime

Post by the Grime »

I have not had a chance to audit the GreatTurn code yet (or even look at it, to be honest), and I refuse to put it up before I assure that it can legally be released. If there are dependencies on non-GPL code, they will have to be removed and replaced. So that will have to wait until I have a chance to do so. Or to put it plainer language -- back off, Andreas. As I said previously, I have every intention of releasing the code. Your continued insistence on this point is neither aiding the conversation nor convincing me to do anything different than I had already intended.

Now, regarding the merger of the old CivLand message board and freeciv.org, who do I need to contact to see about doing this? There are some sticky points -- like the transfer of users, or failing that, how to transfer messages without authors.. I'd like to put up a re-direct from the old civland domain name to here quite quickly.

As for combining LongTurn and GreatTurn -- I haven't gotten that far yet. My impression was that they while some players played on both, they were in the minority. If that's true, then the question is why? Was there some aspect of GT or LT that did not appeal to players of the other?
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

May ask you what do you mean by 'splitting the community'? I think the idea is to INTEGRATE.
LT appeals to some people and GT to others. I don't see where they would conflict. :roll:
the Grime

Post by the Grime »

My impression, based on my time on GT, was that it was much more relaxed (maybe a questionable impression) and less competitive than LT. However, the basic idea was the same. Given that GT has been gone for so long, I'd imagine that those who wanted to play on LT would have gone there already.

My understanding as of now is that GT is a few patches to the server code, with a large amount of Web administration code built around it. If that is indeed the case, then what added-value can GT bring to LT, other than the community it had built up?