Longturn

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
Arbogast
Elite

Longturn

Post by Arbogast »

Is this about web playing or non-web? I love long playing as single player -with AIs, of course.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Longturn

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Longturn gaming is online multiplayer(not Freeciv-web) with 24-hour-turns, so a big group of people from all over the world could theoretically play together. You log on at least once a day and make your moves, maybe have a conversation with the leader of a different civilization etc...
~ AVL
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

oh! So there is: 1)single player, 2)multi-player and 3)Freeciv-web, right?

The more I look into this game, the more confused I get... :shock:
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Well... no. Normal Freeciv has single player and multiplayer. Freeciv-web is its own game, because it had to be developed again. It is far from being what normal Freeciv is. There is Freeciv-web multiplayer, but I don't know think it's compatible with normal freeciv servers. Honestly, I don't really know that much about Freeciv-web, since I only use the normal Freeciv. But I know that it's very new and unfinished.

To recap: Freeciv and Freeciv-web are two different things. Each of them has their own singleplayer and multiplayer, but they are not compatible with each other.
~ AVL
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

It should be possible to add longturn support to Freeciv-web. Is Longturn in Freeciv-web something you think a lot of people would like to play?

If so, where can I find the source code to the Freeciv longturn support? It's not included in the default Freeciv source release?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Well, longturn as a project is fork of freeciv (power of open source: you can take the software and make your own version of it) http://longturn.org/

As for singleplayer/multiplayer. Freeciv is originally multiplayer game, but it's possible to play with just one human player, i.e., singleplayer. So the difference really is in number of players only.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Uh... ok, I thought it was just setting the server options(like timeout) to make turns exactly 24 hours long. I really don't think one needs to use special rules and everything :roll:
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Yeah, it get confusing when I talk about games I play with my friends, for example when reporting bugs we've encountered. It's often relevant that we play turn/day style, but simply saying that "it's long turn game" might make people to think it's longturn.org game, not just long turn freeciv.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

So now we have
1) Stand alone FreeCiv (single and multi)
2) FreeCiv-web
3) longturn.org (something else altogether) not to be confused with
4) Stand alone FreeCiv "turn/day".

Am I getting closer to the truth? :?
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

Arbogast wrote:So now we have
1) Stand alone FreeCiv (single and multi)
2) FreeCiv-web
3) longturn.org (something else altogether) not to be confused with
4) Stand alone FreeCiv "turn/day".

Am I getting closer to the truth? :?
You missed:
5) GreatTurn (a pseudo-fork of longturn.org and the one I like most),
It is a very open and friendly community (well, at least while you're not engaged in a total thermonuclear world war, of course!). Give it a try at greatturn.org!