Towards a 1v1 Meta

It's 5am again and you are still sitting in front of your computer and chatting with some tv's while watching a bloody duel? Welcome friend :)
dragontamer5788

Towards a 1v1 Meta

Post by dragontamer5788 »

I began replaying FreeCiv 2.6 a few weeks ago, but it seems like the current community is mostly Longturn or otherwise multiplayer focused. Nothing wrong with that: different strokes for different folks. To me, it seems like FreeCiv is a perfectly acceptable 1v1 game, but the rulesets would need to be patched up a bit.

Step 1 is simple: figuring out who is interested in 1v1. Allowing us to start meeting and playing together. This topic serves as a starting point. Who else out there is interested in 1v1 ?
dragontamer5788

Re: Towards a 1v1 Meta

Post by dragontamer5788 »

After talking with Zoltan on the League of Civs Discord, I got to play a 1v1 game on the WarClient fork of FreeCiv. Zoltan and OriaN showed me the ropes, and a few other players hopped on to watch my learning battles.

The ruleset was NoWonder-1.3 (All Wonders, except Apollo and Manhattan, are banned).

They showed me the current starting buildorder for WarClient / NoWonder-1.3, which was Rapture T40ish, Warrior Defenses by T50, and Musketeers on Galleons + Destroyers on Turn60 (Largely from the Warriors). I managed to follow the basics, and I'll write up a guide (from my beginner's perspective) for the community sometime soon.

The speed of play is based on some older rulesets from 2.0 Fork. In particular, no borders, caravan trades give +gold and +science. The +Science from Caravans allow for a very speedy Republic, far faster than what is accomplished in 2.6.2 Mainline. WarClient also has "AutoCaravan" features to make optimizing trade routes extremely easy. The biggest reason, is the cccwwwxxxx starting units (3 settlers, 3 workers, 4 explorers). The 3 starting workers are more than enough to build your road network and Rapture ready by T40, negating the need to go Pottery. The 4 explorers provide +15 shields each, accelerating settler production in the beginning.

------------

So Option 1: Warclient / Warserver games based off of 2.0 rules. Its an extremely mature metagame and has a community of players. Certainly a strong option for anyone looking for 1v1 Duels in FreeCiv.

Note 2: AutoCaravan's auto-optimization of trade routes speeds up play. It grossly improves city selection (ensuring the selected cities all max out their trade routes). AutoCaravan would certainly be something that should be ported to the mainline IMO. Even if Classic has weaker trade routes than WarClient, the trade bonus is pretty substantial when all routes are optimal.

EDIT: Looks like QT-client has Trade-route planning. Very interesting and cool.