questions

It's 5am again and you are still sitting in front of your computer and chatting with some tv's while watching a bloody duel? Welcome friend :)
djconklin
Veteran

questions

Post by djconklin »

My last post on this got lost!

1) How do we edit the game so as to make "abandoned villages" less frequent?
2) Is there an auto-explore option? FOUND IT! The knucklehead unit went straight to the top instead of and ever-widening circle around my cities.
3) How can we "dumb down" the AI?
4) What does "throttling growth" mean? Doesn't seem to mean change from "more food" to "max production".
5) What is the largest city size?
6) Is there a way to set how many settlers we start with?
JTN
Elite

Re: questions

Post by JTN »

djconklin wrote:1) How do we edit the game so as to make "abandoned villages" less frequent?
You get the message "An abandoned village is here" when you enter a hut ("minor tribe village") and it wants to give you barbarians but can't for some reason: barbarians are entirely disabled, or there's a city too close by, or you enabled the 'king' unit and entered the hut with it (don't do that!).

The chance of the game trying to give you barbarians when you enter a hut is fixed at 1/12. (This is in Lua script code in the file default\default.lua, so you can edit it without recompiling.)

(You can change the quantity of huts with the server 'huts' setting ("Amount of huts (minor tribe villages)" in the client options UI, or "/set huts 50" on the chatline.)
djconklin wrote:3) How can we "dumb down" the AI?
The default AI level is "Easy". There's also "Novice". The Novice AI additionally:
  • has a large handicap to its science production
  • randomly decides the other way from how it normally would more often
  • is always panicking about its cities being in danger
I don't know how much of a difference all this makes in practice.
djconklin wrote:4) What does "throttling growth" mean? Doesn't seem to mean change from "more food" to "max production".
The message "Suggest throttling growth in Milan to use Granary (being built) more effectively" is suggesting that you change the ratio of food to production to delay the next city growth event.
It doesn't check that this is actually possible. Sound like the City Governor presets don't find a way in your case. You could try changing the governor parameters by hand, or disabling the governor and rearranging citizens by hand.
djconklin wrote:5) What is the largest city size?
Well, it depends how much food surplus you can generate once you run out of tiles to work.
In the classic ruleset, you have at most 21 tiles to work on square grids (19 on hex grids).
An artificial situation you can only create with the editor is every tile is Plains/Wheat with Farmland (yielding 6 food), giving a maximum sustainable city size of 63 on a square map. I haven't thought if that can be improved upon.
(There is a hardcoded limit of 255 in the game engine, but you're unlikely to reach it.)
djconklin wrote:6) Is there a way to set how many settlers we start with?
Yes. "List of players' initial units" in the server options UI in the client, or '/set startunits cccccwwx' in the chatline (see '/help startunits').
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

Alright! I didn't know that we could enter commands in chat.

More questions:

What is the effect of having a road connecting a resource with a city?
not responding message--what does that mean? What is going on inside the program?
The Square Cow
Veteran

Post by The Square Cow »

djconklin wrote:What is the effect of having a road connecting a resource with a city?
As far as I know, connecting resources with road to a city doesn't do any special. Building road on the resource, depending on the tile type, sometimes will give you one more trade.