Bugs and irritations

It's 5am again and you are still sitting in front of your computer and chatting with some tv's while watching a bloody duel? Welcome friend :)
Jim-11

Bugs and irritations

Post by Jim-11 »

Mods, please move this post to your new "Bug reports" forum, and also to your new "Irritations" forum :D

Bug report - Ver 2.3.4 and previous: There are two movement problems. A bomber with surplus extra movement (4 to 7 spaces, for example) directed to go to a city or a target that is closer (2 or 3 spaces away for example) will just stop at a nearby city until the next turn when it has a full "fuel" level for 8 spaces. That means I must waste extra effort to manually move the bomber to the desired spot. Clusters of units (like several Caravans, for example) can be selected and directed to move to another location. All of them begin the move, but only one has the destination. The others stop and blink (even though they have zero movements remaining) until each one is specifically told where to go.

Irritations - Ver 2.3.4 and previous: When a city grows, it may do two things that are irritating. First, it may set the city to maximum food for growth, even if I wanted much more production instead. A better algorithm would be for the city to try to keep approximately the same proportion of food and production that it had before it grew. Second, when a large city grows, it can shift resources to the useless 1-0-0 ocean tiles, even though there are available tiles with much higher food or production available. That requires me to babysit every time a city grows. :cry:

On the subject of irritations, two with Caravans are problems which should be corrected. When a Caravan moves to a city that it already has a trade link with, the message "Enter Market", that otherwise looks identical to the normal message to establish trade, is a PITA. Surely that "Enter Market" message (which really means discard the value of the Caravan) can be displayed in a different shape of box, or perhaps with a different color (bright red, for example), to save some of the user's mental aggravation. The other problem with trade links is the Ctrl-D method to display the links. That works OK with only a few links to only a few cities, but when lots of cities have several trade links, the resulting display just shows a useless mass of green lines. A much more useful approach would be for each city to show the number of trade links to it, so it would be easy to know if the city has reached its maximum of 4 links.

I am still addicted to Freeciv, but reducing some of the bugs and irritations would help to shift the ratio from pain to pleasure. :D
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Bugs and irritations

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

About the Irritation with the City growth: In the second right tab of the city window(don't know what it's called in the english version) you can either choose one of the premade options or make your own settings. The city will do what ever you specify there.

About the traderoutes: If you enable "City Traderoutes" in the "View" menu, the number of traderoutes is shown in the city bar of every city.
~ AVL
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

Jim-11 wrote:Mods, please move this post to your new "Bug reports" forum, and also to your new "Irritations" forum :D

Bug report - Ver 2.3.4 and previous: There are two movement problems. A bomber with surplus extra movement (4 to 7 spaces, for example) directed to go to a city or a target that is closer (2 or 3 spaces away for example) will just stop at a nearby city until the next turn when it has a full "fuel" level for 8 spaces. That means I must waste extra effort to manually move the bomber to the desired spot. Clusters of units (like several Caravans, for example) can be selected and directed to move to another location. All of them begin the move, but only one has the destination. The others stop and blink (even though they have zero movements remaining) until each one is specifically told where to go.
The good news is that Ver 2.4.0 "fixed" this bug, so bombers no longer stop short of the target. The bad news is bombers no longer have ANY thought behind their movements. :( One bomber that was sent to a target that was 17 moves away did not stop to refuel at any of the nearby cities along that path, but continued straight to the target, and then died from no fuel adjacent to the target. :o Another bomber in a city, but with only two moves left, was directed to a nearby city. It did not wait until the next turn so it would have fuel, but instead it immediately moved 2 spaces, and then ran out of fuel. :shock: In Ver 2.4.0, now one must babysit EVERY bomber movement, and that is a true PITA. :x It would be great if this bomber movement problem could be repaired (or at least restored to the earlier bad movement technique where bombers would never run out of fuel) in an update. Thanks!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Sounds like bug #21359, fixed just a couple of days ago.
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

I was just returning to tell everyone that there is a ".Patch 0001" file at that link to fix this problem. :D Now, can someone tell me where to put this .Patch file? :?: (Be nice, please :twisted: ) I have not yet been able to find out what to do with a .Patch file, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

The patch file is for modifying the source code (it's just text file with lines starting with "+" or "-"), so to use it you will need to compile freeciv yourself. What OS you are using? (Windows builds are much harder to do than most, as it does not come with the tools out-of-the-box) Anyway, freeciv-2.4.2 where that patch has been applied should be released.soon.