Inspired by Game of Thrones, Westeros as a custom imaginary nation

It's 5am again and you are still sitting in front of your computer and chatting with some tv's while watching a bloody duel? Welcome friend :)
Euroic

Inspired by Game of Thrones, Westeros as a custom imaginary nation

Post by Euroic »

I've long been addicted to Freeciv, and now to Game of Thrones, so why not have both ?

I just started to gather and shape the elements necessary for the custom nation of Westeros. Herein is a preview as well as a request for comments.

So far, my primary source is http://awoiaf.westeros.org

I found there a list of cities, to which I added the free cities to make the list a little longer, coming to a total of 58. Not much, but should do for a start. Of course, if you have ideas for more, you are much welcome to contribute.

Next, there is the question of the flag and the shield and that's where it starts to hurt as the concepts of flag is foreign to the Game of Thrones universe, let alone the concept of a national flag.

I came of with what follows.

For the shield, I started from the top-left logo of the wiki, of which I retained only the golden-brown of the border. I found somewhere a svg of a seven-pointed star which I colored blue and yellow, the blue being supposed to be ice and the yellow fire. The grey background simply is the named HTML color silver. I'm not entirely pleased with the result : it will probably evolve, and any idea is welcome. I think I'll keep the seven-pointed star.

For the flag, I set on the provisional idea of seven vertical bands, each supposedly representing one of the Seven Kingdoms. Doing so I realised that despite being mentioned everywhere, those seven kingdoms are never defined as clear, distinct and separate entities. I somehow made it fit by considering the main regions and for each took the dominant or most significant color from the coat of arms of the ruling house. Grey is from the coat of arms of House Stark and stands from The North, orange is from House Greyjoy and is rust-like, fitting for the Iron Islands etc. from north to south and west to east. A bit convoluted, not very pleasing to the eye and far from the iconography and visual spirit of the HBO series. I think I'll rather morph the shield into a flag.

The list of rules shouldn't be a problem as almost every character aspires to become the kind.

For the civilwar_nations , I think I'll be lazy and draw from the European Middle-Ages. Of course, it would be more proper to turn a few of the Houses into nations. Maybe I'll do that at some point.

Again, what I post here are humble beginings, please comment away !
Attachments
westeros-shield.png
westeros-flag.png
westeros-flag.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 18307 times
cities - plain list.txt
(471 Bytes) Downloaded 916 times
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Inspired by Game of Thrones, Westeros as a custom imaginary nation

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I don't watch GoT, so I can't say how well this all fits, but in general, flag and shield should be essentially the same design, so as to not confuse players.
~ AVL
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

For cities u missed eg Hardhome, Castamere, probably a lot more places more important than those u mentioned.

Rightful king is Targaryen, and it should be their sygil on flag.

But all u want is simple nation ? GoT without dragons ? Thats not GoT.
U should aim higher - create custom ruleset, tileset, create proper houses/nations,even sounds :D, add some scenarios and more.
Somone will help (maybe).
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

U should aim higher - create custom ruleset, tileset, create proper houses/nations,even sounds :D, add some scenarios and more.
I made a GoT scenario years ago and we played a few turns at Greatturn until it collapsed. The GT-version was the final version with civ2/civ3 but it stopped function so I posted a less elaborate earlier version with default ruleset at the "scenario collection" thread. But dont be misappointed that I used custom nations, although I tried to match the flags somehow...

http://forum.freeciv.org/f/download/file.php?id=518 (GoT scenario)
Euroic

Post by Euroic »

Follow-up : http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... 6637#p6637

I settled with the color crimson as background as an evocation of all that blood ;)
The seven-pointed star didn't do too well when scaled down, but heck, will do.

Thanks for the feed-back :)
FirstGame.png
westeros.png