Hello

It's 5am again and you are still sitting in front of your computer and chatting with some tv's while watching a bloody duel? Welcome friend :)
GeneralSturnn

Hello

Post by GeneralSturnn »

Been watching Freeciv for sometime, tried it out once, hated it, tried it out again, like it, finally registered here to say "hi" and ask some questions, lol.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Hello

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Welcome to the forums :)
Nice to know that you're one to give second chances.
If you have questions, ask ahead! Someone will most likely be able to help you.
~ AVL
GeneralSturnn

Post by GeneralSturnn »

Questions I have:

1: How to I add new units in? I'm looking around for Sprites and found a few I wish to use
2: can each civ have unique units?
3: can a civil war that spawns another civ from yours have it's own unique units? or must is share what you had?
4: how can I add sound into the game? what format do they need to be in
5: How many posts do I need before I can send private messages?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

1. For this, you should look at the units.ruleset file in <freeciv folder>/data/default and at units.spec and units.png in <freeciv folder>/data/amplio2. In order to understand them, you might need to take a look at <freeciv folder>/doc/README.rulesets and <freeciv folder>/doc/README.graphics.
    Note that I bolded "look at" in the first sentence? Yeah, don't modify any rulesets, tilesets (soundsets, too), but instead copy them and modify those files. Also, when copying a ruleset, you shouldn't copy default.lua, since it's supposed to always be loaded from the default ruleset.
  2. Yes, but since you can only use tech requirements for units(not effect structures), you'll have to make special technologies that can't be researched(make them their own root_req) and that are given to the specific nations automatically at the beginning of the game(init_techs).
  3. Not quite sure what you mean, but since it keeps the same technologies as the one it's splitted from, it'll be able to produce that nation's units. I'm not sure if it'll also get the init_techs.
  4. <freeciv folder>/doc/README.sound
  5. Dunno.
~ AVL
GeneralSturnn

Post by GeneralSturnn »

The Civil War questions was say I wanted to make an "The Imperium" civilization, from Warhammer 40,000

Guardsmen would be it's Modern Riflemen, Space Marines their marine unit, Leman Russ tanks for Armor, and so on and so forth, but I was hoping if a Civil War happened, I could have the rebels to be called like "Legions of Chaos" and use Chaos Guardsmen, Chaos Marines and so on and so forth.

further explanation for Question #1: How do I make new units? I mean not from existing unit graphics, but with new ones, what do I need to do to make them appear "normal"?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Well, right now it's not possible to have specific units be different just because they're from a different nation and everything.
The Civil War thing might be possible using lua code, but I don't really know much about that. I forgot everything I ever knew about lua, since I don't work with it anymore.

For the units, you need to
- make the unit. This is done in the units.ruleset file of your ruleset, and it's pretty easy to understand there.
- add the graphics. For this, you can basically copy the /data/amplio2.tilespec file(or the tilespec of the tileset you want to use, default is amplio2), but add a new file to the long list of included files(lines 66-96 or something). This new file would be pretty much like /data/amplio2/units.spec, and as the tags, you would use the ones for your new units. You also use that graphics tag in the units.ruleset file(e.g. "u.spacemarines").

Two wiki pages you could check out are Editing Tilesets and Editing Rulesets. I'm not sure if they're up to date, but most of them should be.
~ AVL